Sign in to follow this  

oil capacity of '81 250xt

finally got around to changing the oil in my 250. got the new filter in. filling it up with oil, it got to the top of the sight glass, and then drained all the way to where i couldn't even see it in the sight glass - that low. added 2 more quarts (stupid on my behalf). still has not come up unless i missed in in a millisecond while blinking and it magically has become extremely overfilled, which i'm assuming has happened anyways. started it up with 2 quarts in it, ran it for a bit varying rpm engaging and disengaging the clutch, and still nothing. did the same thing after one more quart.

so, what is the oil capacity of my bike? the worst i'll have to do is just drain out perfectly good oil.

1.3 litres is what I use. Should be stamped on the side case, I think it's 1300ml, or 1300cc. It's not the engine capacity, it's the oil capacity.

You've overfilled it, as 1.3 litres is about the same in quarts, so only needs 1.3 quarts from empty. You probably couldn't see it in the sight glass cause it was above the top level