Sign in to follow this  

New Sprockets, Chain Size Etc

Ok Guys,

A few months ago I got a used 07 CRF250R. It had whos knows what chain but a Vortex rear sprocket. Its now worn so I bought the Renthal/D.I.D kit from Motosport. (Note) I changed the gearing from 51/13 to 52/12 for more accl. Today I put it all on. Got the sprockets on and got to the chain, way to long. Its a 120 link. What link do I need? Shorter for my new gearing? Did I need to order a shorter chain or can I remove a Link? Thanks guys!

Ok Guys,

A few months ago I got a used 07 CRF250R. It had whos knows what chain but a Vortex rear sprocket. Its now worn so I bought the Renthal/D.I.D kit from Motosport. (Note) I changed the gearing from 51/13 to 52/12 for more accl. Today I put it all on. Got the sprockets on and got to the chain, way to long. Its a 120 link. What link do I need? Shorter for my new gearing? Did I need to order a shorter chain or can I remove a Link? Thanks guys!

You need to cut the chain appropriately.

OK, With a chain breaker? How many links? 114? 116? THanks

I don't know, you don't have to use a chain breaker though. I just use a bench grinder and then a hammer and a small piece of metal to push out the links in the chain.

Yeah dude don't sweat chains come oversized haha it's all good. Just throw that chain on your bike, and line up some links tight and imagine there being the master link connecting 'em. Make a mark on the link that first needs to be cut. (The one next to the one where the master link would go) Then, snip snip 🙂