Sign in to follow this  

The Most Miserable Ride I Ever Had

So, Thursday night I had a terrible experience on motorcycle. It ended up being one wicked chain reaction.

I had to go to Canyon City to take my ASVAB again, as it has been over 2 years since last time. It's about an 80 mile ride. I just got my supermoto wheels for my 500, and I was really looking forward to riding through the canyon, lots of twists an turns:ride:

But, the day before I was called into work, and I didn't really have time to prepare my bike, and I ended up staying up till 3am fixing minor problems. My bike vibrates a lot, which loosens and cracks all sorts of weird stuff. I was supposed to be in Canyon at 2pm and I woke up at noon. So in a huge hurry, I topped off the fluids, grabbed a spare spark plug, and a few fuels bottles to throw in my backpack. I was in such a hurry, I didn't put on riding pants or boots.

I made it down there no problem, just about 20 minutes late, and the ride was extremely fun. But it turns out that the proctor giving the test canceled, and I would have to take the test at Ft. Carson, about 40 miles from Canyon City. So after sitting in my recruiters office for a while, we headed up there. The test started at 6PM, instead of 2PM, and it takes about 3 hours. I was planning to be home before dark, oh well.

I get done with test, only to find out it that it is pouring rain outside. Sweet, I have 90 miles to go, in the rain, my headlight sucks, and I have no riding gear except a helmet and gloves. Plus I am flat broke, no money for hotels. So I get on the road, and I cant see anything, my goggles are covered with water, and there is a vicious glare. I head up into the mountains while following cars so I can see where I am going. As I get into Woodland Park there is a really bad fog with the rain still coming down, which made it even harder to see.

I stop at a gas station to get some more fuel and a cup of coffee, and by this time and am absolutely freezing and soaked, it was only 55 degrees or so, an I was wearing skate shoes, jeans, and a Carhartt coat. I head back on the road and after about 10 miles I stopped at another gas station in Divide for some more coffee, and as I stop, a cop flips his lights on right be hind me. My running light shorted out or something, because it would just flicker every once in a while. I ended up getting a ticket and he said he won't let me get back on the road. He and a bunch of other cops posted up right across the street. So I sat there for a couple hours. I ended up bypassing the pressure sensor for the brake light, so it would run all the time. Now, I didn't have a working brake light, but I was determined to get home that night. At about 1:30am, the cop got on the road to go pull somebody over, and right when he left I got the hell out of there. I sill had 70 miles to go in the rain.

For the next 65 miles or so, it was pretty uneventful, just riding though the freezing rain. I went through this area called South Park, and it is about 35 miles across, 10,000 feet in elevation, and it is virtually a straight shot all the way. I was numb by the time I got though there. I stopped for fuel one last time, and I had about 35 miles to go.

So I get on Trout Creek Pass, and I am getting excited because I can see the light from the town in the distance. About 4 miles out my bike dies, and that's really scary on a wet mountain pass, I am still going 65 but with no lights. I stop and I have no gas left, which I thought was weird because I can get about 55 miles or so on a tank. But, I throw in a couple bottles of extra gas I was carrying, and start it back up. It only runs for about 10 seconds...

I found out my fuel filter snapped and all the gas I just put in ran out onto the ground. So, end up pushing my bike about 4 miles to a truck stop outside of town. Which also was really scary, because the only other vehicles on the road at that time were semi-trucks. So I can't really get that far off the road because there is no room, and these trucks go by at 55 throwing up a huge amount of spray. I got some new fuel line and rode the rest of the way home, I got back at about 3 in the morning.

That was a long day.

Whoa, that IS a miserable ride! 🙂

wow man ive had those days before to, hey the last time I rode I broke my tiba and fiba so I guess your day could of been worse

ouch man, that sucks i feel your pain, i have been there done that,

caught in wyoming in a blizzard on a bike.

Its no fun, now if im going anywhere outside of town on a street bike, i am packing a bunch of stuff, just in case.

Im glad you made it home OK, to many fellow riders have not made it home it stories just like yours.

Man that sucks hard core. Glad you made it back safe. I grew up in woodland park, so I know what it is like on all those roads, and know how scary it would be to break down. I also know how cold that rain is. Good story though. Just make sure you learn from it, then you can laugh at it later.

The ASVAB, what branch of the service you entering? but about the ride, that sucks dude, i think i would have just given up and called someone while i was waiting at the gas station, and a waterproof riding jacket is great to have too, i got a nice Castle street jacket and it's waterproof

Wow the cop sounded like a dick then.

Well, I can understand why he didn't want me to leave. Without a running light and really bad visibility some idiot could have rear ended me without even seeing me. That is the kind of thing police a try to prevent. Thankfully by the time I left the gas station the fog had cleared up and the rain slowed down.

You're going to remember that whole deal for the rest of your life. Every time someone whines about a crappy ride, you'll be thinking to yourself "yeah right, that guy is a wimp". At least you made it safely - that's what really counts!

I just got back from Taylor Park. I've never seen so much rain, sleet and hail on any other trip. We left Thursday in heavy rain and it didn't stop until we got just outside of Topeka, Kansas.

You should have come up. Jeff Slavens rode with us a day and Mike Shown from Flatland Racing was there for a few days. Good trip. 🙂 It sounds like we had a bit more fun than you did.

am i the only one surprised to find out that theres a south park in colorado? i thought that was just made up for the show "South Park". and that sucks about your ride. hopefully the cops dont look you up cause you ditched

Well, I can understand why he didn't want me to leave. Without a running light and really bad visibility some idiot could have rear ended me without even seeing me. That is the kind of thing police a try to prevent. Thankfully by the time I left the gas station the fog had cleared up and the rain slowed down.

Well I mean giving you a ticket for something you obviously did not know about is kind of a bitch move.

am i the only one surprised to find out that theres a south park in colorado? i thought that was just made up for the show "South Park". and that sucks about your ride. hopefully the cops dont look you up cause you ditched

haha, i am.

You're going to remember that whole deal for the rest of your life. Every time someone whines about a crappy ride, you'll be thinking to yourself "yeah right, that guy is a wimp". At least you made it safely - that's what really counts!

lol....that was EXACTLY what I was thinking while reading the post.

Honestly, this is what riding is all about for me. I have a LOT of

stories I could tell about this same type of stuff, but for you

it doesnt matter. You have your own story now. When we ride our

bikes we are "in" our surroundings. We feel it, see it, smell it,

sometimes taste it. Riding is so much more personal then driving

a cage.

Glad you made it home alright. 🙂

I know what you guys mean, even though it sucked, it is also a bit enjoyable for me. I made it through and a challenge is always something I look forward to.

Yeah, the 2 guys that created the TV show were from Fairplay, which is located in South Park, it's about 30 minutes from where I live:lol:

wow man ive had those days before to, hey the last time I rode I broke my tiba and fiba so I guess your day could of been worse

ha thats funny i just got surgury for my fibia and tibia because of breaking it a year ago lol