Sign in to follow this  

Bike still not starting...

Now I am getting pissed off. I've had my engine apart twice now from 2 separate mechanics. My last guy lapped the valves and all that so now the 250R has compression now that I can feel when riding it(after I bump start the bitch)

So. The problem:

My bike DOES NOT START via kickstarter.

My bike STARTS via pushing that bitch down a big hill and dropping it into gear.

My bike DIES if coming to idle.

My bike STAYS RUNNING if idle is set so high that I could reach "getting air" speed without touching throttle.(exaggeration, but whatever)

What I have done:

Adjusted fuel/air screw.

Disconnected hot start cable(Figured it was pulling up somewhere and causing it not to start)

Lapped the valves

I talked to my guy who lapped my valves for me, and he said he got it to start via kickstarter, but died after about 15 seconds because there wasn't much gas in there.

Maybe I'm just too much of a spode to know how to kick my bike over right or something, because I kicked that about 300 times, and got, nothing.

My guy said it's definitely carb issues, and hopefully he knows because he's a mechanic at the local dealer, and he's had the exact same bike as mine. I was supposed to drop my bike back off at his place tonight but he never called me back and hes leaving tomorrow for a week. he told me I didn't owe him anything for the work he did on it taking it all apart and lapping the valves.

So. Now that I'm done bitching, can anyone tell me what the to do to my bike to get that hunk of shit running? It's been 3 months since I've been able to ride it, and my whole summer has been just down the god damn toilet because of it. I want this red bitch running, now. I have a race on the 31st, and school starts next month. I'm not going to go ALL summer without my bike.

Sorry for sounding like an immature little shit head, I am just up to my eyeballs in stress right now because of that hunk of sitting in the back of my truck right now. I've got about $600 into the engine that needed the valves lapped and a cam chain, and the still doesn't run. You would understand my angriness if you were in my shoes. I just have to let out.

and if problems persist, this bitch will be on craigslist... whats up suzuki?

The symptoms sound like to me that your valves need to be adjusted correctly 🙂

I think my clearances were .006 intakes and .012 exhaust or something.

Hmm, thats the exact symptoms of when your valves get out of spec. If it's not that and your sure it's not, then I'm stumped 🙂

its all good man. i know what it is like to not be able to figure it out. If your like me it'll be something really stupid and simple that you over looked like your fuel is off or something.

Has the carb been apart since the last time it was running? Anybody remove the slide assembly?

Are you saying to clean the carb? Or maybe the slide isn't in there?

I'm thinking the slide plate was installed upside down. The plate looks like it fits better upside down. This mistake is made all the time and it results in a bike that will not idle and is harder than hell to start.

The shape of the plate looks like it fits better with the hole up not down. It's counter-intuitive but the hole MUST be on the bottom.

medium.jpg

🙂

That is definately something I would check out if I were you

My dude cleaned the carb for me, but I don't know if he took the carb apart completely. I will double check that...

I am about to go out to my bike and open up the carb, but I have never opened a carb up before, so can anybody tell me exactly how to get to the slide and will anything fly out at me?

*cough* *cough* owners manual *cough* *cough*

owners manual doesn't say shit about anything dawg, trust me, I have looked. It didn't even tell me how to adjust my fuel/air screw.

The OEM "owner's manual" doesn't have that info. The Honda Factory Service manual does.

I love my Honda factory service manual. and i got it for $25:applause: it is the best thing in my toolbox.

🙂

That is definately something I would check out if I were you

I installed the plate upside down my YZ250F. Although it started OK it ran like S**T. I spent a whole afternoon trying to figure out what was wrong.

This would be the first thing I would check.

Also, you said your valves were lapped. Isn't that a no-no with titainium coated vavles?

have you checked the cam chain tentioner? if its too tight it wont start. but it will feel like there is a lot of compression.

have you checked the cam chain tentioner? if its too tight it wont start. but it will feel like there is a lot of compression.

no I haven't I will though.