Sign in to follow this  

Bike still not starting...

*posted in CRF250R forum but I need more answers so I'm posting here too, sorry*

Now I am getting f*cking pissed off. I've had my engine apart twice now from 2 separate mechanics. My last guy lapped the valves and all that so now the 250R has compression now that I can feel when riding it(after I bump start the bitch)

So. The problem:

My bike DOES NOT START via kickstarter.

My bike STARTS via pushing that bitch down a big f*cking hill and dropping it into gear.

My bike DIES if coming to idle.

My bike STAYS RUNNING if idle is set so high that I could reach "getting air" speed without touching throttle.(exaggeration, but whatever)

What I have done:

Adjusted fuel/air screw.

Disconnected hot start cable(Figured it was pulling up somewhere and causing it not to start)

Lapped the valves

I talked to my guy who lapped my valves for me, and he said he got it to start via kickstarter, but died after about 15 seconds because there wasn't much gas in there.

Maybe I'm just too much of a f*cking spode to know how to kick my bike over right or something, because I kicked that c*nt about 300 times, and got, nothing.

My guy said it's definitely carb issues, and hopefully he knows because he's a mechanic at the local dealer, and he's had the exact same bike as mine. I was supposed to drop my bike back off at his place tonight but he never called me back and hes leaving tomorrow for a week. he told me I didn't owe him anything for the work he did on it taking it all apart and lapping the valves.

So. Now that I'm done bitching, can anyone tell me what the &%$#@! to do to my bike to get that hunk of shit running? It's been 3 f*cking months since I've been able to ride it, and my whole summer has been just down the god damn toilet because of it. I want this red bitch running, now. I have a race on the 31st, and school starts next month. I'm not going to go ALL summer without my bike.

Sorry for sounding like an immature little shit head, I am just up to my f*cking eyeballs in stress right now because of that hunk of &%$#@! sitting in the back of my truck right now. I've got about $600 into the engine that needed the valves lapped and a cam chain, and the f*cker still doesn't run. You would understand my angriness if you were in my shoes. I just have to let out.

and if problems persist, this bitch will be on craigslist... whats up suzuki?

I know your frustrated dude. But walking away for a minute and taking a breath will relieve some stress off your head. If your dumbfounded start with the basics again and write down what you've looked at and adjusted. Sometimes, when troubleshooting some forget what they've touched, turned, or changed. I hate to hear your issues and feel for you. Here are somethings to look at since he has pointed you in a general direction.

1. Timing

2. Fuel system

3. Air Flow

I have heard of one bike being out of time just a little like one tooth or something and it needed shit loads of fuel to stay running. It also took pushing it off to start it. That is more revolutions than your leg can kick. Just my two cents. I hope this helps some. I would check that stuff and talk with him again. Just my two cents. I hope this helps some. Good luck.

• Like 1

The timing is fine.

I just put a full tank of premium in it yesterday.

I cleaned the air filter with No Toil while I had the bike apart. I'm wondering if I have too much oil on the fliter though. It seems to be on there pretty thick.

Just read on another thread that to make sure your air filter oil is dry before trying to start it. Someone else was having troubles after cleaning his filter. You may have pulled some filter oil into you carb.

I WOULD CONSIDER HAVING A COMPRESSION TEST JUST TO MAKE SURE. FUNNY ENOUGH MY PROBLEM WAS SIMILAR. FOUND THAT THE VENTURY AND NEEDLE IN THE CARB WAS WORN.(HAD A TAPER THAT WAS MEANT TO BE SMOOTH). assuming bike is in standard condition. once mods are done that becomes another issue.

start with the basics

an engine needs air, fuel and spark to run, check to see if you have spark, crank it over a few times, take spark plug out, is it wet? if so you have fuel.

if you have spark and fuel, most likely cause is to lean jetting, buy some brass and do some swapping and adjusting, that's assuming the piston and valves are still in good shape.

start with the basics

an engine needs air, fuel and spark to run, check to see if you have spark, crank it over a few times, take spark plug out, is it wet? if so you have fuel.

if you have spark and fuel, most likely cause is to lean jetting, buy some brass and do some swapping and adjusting, that's assuming the piston and valves are still in good shape.

I just put a brand new spark plug in there, like seriously, brand new. I know I'm getting fuel because my exhaust pops sometimes when I kick it.

My piston is 20 hours old and my valves are perfect.

but what if your stator or CDI is bad, or if the spakr plug lead is shorting.. then no matter how new and or expensive the plug, you won't be getting spark.

take the plug out, hold it against the cylinder head and crank it over, normally if you have spark here your good, sometimes if the stator is starting to fail however you can have spark in open air, but have a weak, or no spark under compression, both are things to check.

take the plug out anyway and see if it's wet, takes the whole of ten minutes if you have to take the tank and seat off.

jetting, buy some brass and do some swapping, talekd to burned, TT's jetting expert.

Try getting a squirt bottle of some sort and spraying some gas into the carb and kicking the bike over to see if it will start. Or even try running the bike with the choke on. Sounds like it needs jetting to me. 🙂

Everyone keeps telling him to change the jetting, but if he never messed with it and the problem just started occuring, it's something other than just changing jets.

Check your float height. Make sure you're getting ENOUGH fuel in the carb. Set your air screw back to stock. Take the carb off and clean it out real good. Clean your air filter and put minimal oil on there. You just need enough to cover the surface and massage it in there. Don't drench it.

Do that and report back and we'll go from there. But before anything else, just calm down a bit and tell yourself that eventually this thing WILL be running again! 🙂:D

Your guy didn't lap Titanium valves I hope, did he? Not supposed to do that.

Was the plug wet when you pulled it out? If not you are not getting gas through the carb.

Yes

What mechanics have you taken your bike to?

Well one dude next door to my dad's car dealership took my engine apart and put a new cam chain in and stuff.

The last guy said my bike had 1/4 compression needed, so he took my engine apart and lapped the valves on it in like an hour total. He's been working on bikes for 10 years and he's had the exact same bike as mine so he knows what he's doing. He works at the Honda dealer here, too. As the main mechanic.

Your guy didn't lap Titanium valves I hope, did he? Not supposed to do that.

I don't think they are?

and actually, what I was adjusting was the pilot jet, not the fuel/air screw. Can someone tell me where that is on the carb?