Sign in to follow this  

moving a bike with my dumb volvo

i have a volvo 850 wagon. about a month ago i got my dirt bike, and i got a dirt bike carrier with it. the carrier has a 2 inch mount.

the only hitches for volvo 850's are class 2! 1.25 inches! so i'd have to get an adapter... so it would only stick out further. am i asking for my bike to drop? its a yz 125. TW is 300 lbs for the hitch. bike + carrier is probably 240 lbs.

is this a recipe for disaster? anyone else had a class 2 hitch + adapter + carrier?

In about 10 minutes chickenhaulers going to come and tell you how bad of an idea that is and to get a small trailer. He's right and knows his stuff.

I think you'll be asking for trouble and that bike will throw you all around

Yea, do yourself a favor and just get a 3 rail trailer...then all your friends with trucks will be wanting you to drive to the trailhead/track since you get better gas mileage 🙂

2895401060036727308S600x600Q85.jpg

is this a recipe for disaster?

Yes it is. Don't do it. Get a small trailer. Even one of the El Cheapo Harbor Freight trailers is a way better idea than what you are thinking of doing.

thanks guys. ya'll got me thinkin about a trailer, so i browsed craigslist like a madman. a bunch of trailors for around 300. but then i put on my thinking cap, and remembered that my girlfriends dad owns a warehouse. she asked and he said he has a small one he doesnt use. hopefully it will be big enough 🙂

thanks guys. ya'll got me thinkin about a trailer, so i browsed craigslist like a madman. a bunch of trailors for around 300. but then i put on my thinking cap, and remembered that my girlfriends dad owns a warehouse. she asked and he said he has a small one he doesnt use. hopefully it will be big enough 🙂

This sounds like a much better idea than an adapter added into an already incapable hitch setup.

Most Class II's are only rated for 2-300 lbs tongue weight, and your car probably isn't rated any higher.

Now, even though the bike may be under that weight, it's the way that weight is carried-much farther out than where a normal hitch ball is.

Think lever (or a pipe on a ratchet)....the longer the lever, the more force is exerted.

I use a hitch hauler occasionally behind my Chevy half ton with a CLass III hitch, and I can definitely feel it back there-wouldn't want to think how a car would handle with one.