Sign in to follow this  

Big bore (advice before purchase)

Hi Guys, I am looking to do a couple of things to my DRZ SM. I am hoping to buy the Athena 440 bigbore kit and a set of stage 1 hot cams. I am also shopping for a better front brake system.

As far as the big bore kit goes, I have searched and it seems that this is a fairly common mod that most people are happy with, however I am unsure that the stage one cams are what I am looking for and would love some feedback on this particular setup.

Also I have a slipon yosh system, will I see the exhaust as the performance restriction in this system?

Lastly, cam anyone chime in with brake kits or mods that they have experience with on the DRZ? I am hoping to use some of the boards collective IQ to make my DR a bit more fun.

Do a little research here in the forums. A quick search for "cam specs" will get you alot of results with lots of good info. The most complete thread that I found helpful was this one: https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424658&highlight=cam+specs

As for the exaust, yes it will be a restriction. The stock headpipe is too small in diameter. You need a new header.

As for brakes, you already have a 310mm rotor. Most aftermarket rotors are 320mm. In order for you to use one of them, you will need a caliper relocation bracket on top of the rotor. Lots of expense to gain 10mm in diameter. Not sure that this wouldn't be money better spent elsewhere. However, as a brake mod in general, I think you might find a braided front line beneficial. They make worlds of difference in the amount of feel you have for the brakes, and they will reduce your lever travel some too.

I recently did a write up regarding my big bore and cam installation. I went with the Athena 435 kit and Hot Cams stage 1 cams. You might find it useful.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668641

for the brakes a braded SS hose may fix aney ishoos you have with the stock SM 310mm roter

yes you need a better head pipe

and if you do not have the 39mm FCR carb well there is no point to get a BB kit with that small 36MM CV carb

if your not needing to replace your piston than I would get the FCR carb better pipe and the hot cams ( I comnsider those 3 modds as bolt-on )

for the brakes a braded SS hose may fix aney ishoos you have with the stock SM 310mm roter

yes you need a better head pipe

and if you do not have the 39mm FCR carb well there is no point to get a BB kit with that small 36MM CV carb

if your not needing to replace your piston than I would get the FCR carb better pipe and the hot cams ( I comnsider those 3 modds as bolt-on )

Thank you guys, I should have added the fact that I do have a 39mm FCR carb and I also already have the braided brake lines. I just find the stock brakes merely adaquate. (I have been spoiled with some very very good road racing brakes on my other bikes).

OK exhaust question first. Seeing as have a slipon yosh, and stock headpipe, can I purchase a FMF powerbomb head pipe and get the same flow as lets say.....a full RS2 system? Or am I doomed to bite the bullet and buy a new RS2

Thanks again guys for your help. Seeing as I am totally new to this bike I really appreciate any help you can offer.

the FMF header will be better than the stock one but not has good as the full RS2 system ( I know becouse that is what I have )

I myself would love to get a full pipe from MRD ... Eddie runs there pipes on all the racing bikes

http://warnekedesign.com/mrd-racing/index.php

I will still addvize to keep the stock piston for now

get the beter pipe and cams to see what you get

than if your looking for more do the BB kit

the FMF header will be better than the stock one but not has good as the full RS2 system ( I know becouse that is what I have )

I myself would love to get a full pipe from MRD ... Eddie runs there pipes on all the racing bikes

http://warnekedesign.com/mrd-racing/index.php

I will still addvize to keep the stock piston for now

get the beter pipe and cams to see what you get

than if your looking for more do the BB kit

OK, You have me sold on the stock piston for now. Are the MRD Pipes getting gains equal to the yosh which has been so solidly promoted on this site? If so.......I would like to talk to eddie and then maybe pick one up.

Also, I am a bit confused as far as the cams go, Some people seem to think the Stage 2 hotcams intake (which may or may not be available) and a stage 1 exhaust cam is the way to go.

Any Thoughts?

as for the cams .... you get what you can find ( the best cams are from RHC but are only good for BB+stroker motors )

the "E" cams NEW are more money than the hot cams ( I have a set of "E"s in my SM they made a little difference but I got them off Ebay for $100 so they ware worth it )

the only dyno Eddie has not done is the MRD pipe on the DRZ --- but he got 2nd at pikes peek with MRD pipe on a FCR450

im running hotcams stg2 in and stg 1 ex(with auto decomp)athena BB kit,rs3 full ex,fcr.i like the combo but imalways planing for more mods

The stage 2 cams are no longer being made so you would be looking for used or new old stock to find one. I did not have the patience to go that route. I have been very happy with the gains I feel from the 435 and stage 1 cams.

The stage 2 cams are no longer being made so you would be looking for used or new old stock to find one. I did not have the patience to go that route. I have been very happy with the gains I feel from the 435 and stage 1 cams.

Thanks very much for the input. I think I will be replacing my slipon with a full RS2 and getting the stage 1 cams for now and then ths winter I will get the 435 athena to freshen up the motor abit.

Thanks for all of the replies guys.

Justin