Multi purpose 2 stroke

Guys

Looking for a 2 stroke 250 that can multi task, this is what I am looking for. Now the purpose is to find a bike and year (used) that is the best average for what I want, other than changing a few parts around.

Age 42

160, 5,8

Intermediate rider

Southern Ontario location.

I know some bikes have amazing reputations and others don't. Not looking for something that has to be rejetted all the time but runs clean for most weather extremes. Don't mind jetting but like a clean running bike.

Have had the new 4 strokes and they are great but like the 2's better.

Have spent many years racing and riding the 2's

Have not owned a 2 since my 98 KX250 and 2000 CR125.

Have grown out of the MX scene..ok just don't heal fast enough and want to ride all day.

1, Something that can be used for supermoto, with wheels of course.

2, Something that can be used on the trails..easy fast trails.

3, Something that can do the tight technical trails.

4, Something that can do the GP style MX tracks

5, Something that don't Kost To Much (get it KTM?)

6, Something light on the maintanece.

7, Something to race hare scrambles.

8, Smooth strong slight hit type power curve.

Just kidding on the KTM's, never gave them to much time so can't judge.

What ya got?

Bev

What your describing is in fact a KTM 300, if your serious you better take a look at one.........

My thoughts exactly. (KTM 300 XC-W) The KTM costing too much is an old wives tale. Now new models have gone up for 09 because of the weaker dollar vs the euro. I have purchase all the Japanese makes out there new, Honda was always a "freight/set up" over MSRP, I have purchased a Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki at MSRP, no freight/set up. As for KTM's, I have always gotten these for well under MSRP, no freight/set up. Especially if its a last year model. I bought a new 07 KTM in December of 07 for $1000 under MSRP, and this was only an 85. I get all my parts at 25% off suggested retail. So all my parts pencil out cheaper than like parts from the japanese bikes. I have found KTM's to cost less if you are willing to do some research. I have found they are more "racing oriented" in everything on the bike. Ease of service, hex bolt sizes all consistent, even the head of each bolt is milled out to lighten it up.

OK...I'm gonna go against the flow here and suggest one of the later steel-framed CR250's...'94, '95, '96...they had great running and very versatile engines that will tractor down low and rip like hell up top and with a little massaging of the suspension, will still compete with anything without beating the hell out of you.?

I have a 2001 250EXC. In off road trim I run 13/50 gearing and do all sorts of tight 1st gear singletrack, fast open trails and even a bit a track duty. I do as many D/S rides as I can and have no issues with 200 mile weekends. In street setup I run 15/45 gearing with Scorpion AT's(KTM Adventure tires) and did 170 street miles in one day riding with my buddies on a couple Harleys & my Bro on a 450 MXC with Super Moto wheels. With my street gearing it'll cruise all day at 70MPH and will top out at 95MPH

Sounds like the 300 is the way to go then, thats exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Did a bit of homework and looks like in 04 they changed the bike drasticly which makes 04 and newer the way to go.

Checked out a couple of youtube vids and in a couple without music you can really hear the tractor like engine torquing up the hills.

Read a review from Dirt Bike and it was very good, big plus mentioned was the super light weight!

Will have to track down the local KTM dealer in the Toronto area and go have a chat.

If any Ontario guys have a dealer recomendation please let me know.

Thanks again:thumbsup:

Bev

Sounds like the 300 is the way to go then, thats exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Did a bit of homework and looks like in 04 they changed the bike drasticly which makes 04 and newer the way to go.

Checked out a couple of youtube vids and in a couple without music you can really hear the tractor like engine torquing up the hills.

Read a review from Dirt Bike and it was very good, big plus mentioned was the super light weight!

Will have to track down the local KTM dealer in the Toronto area and go have a chat.

If any Ontario guys have a dealer recomendation please let me know.

Thanks again:thumbsup:

Bev

Do you have links to the you tube videos???