Sign in to follow this  

YZ125, CRF250, or YZ250F...

Hi! Yet another newbie here...

So, I race flat track, and just started last year on a TTR125. Fantastic starter bike, and I had a great time learning on it...however, it's time to the move to the next level.

I'm 107 lbs, 5'2" and have been riding for about 10 1/2 years. I ride some MX practice days (would like to enter a race next year maybe), and would like something I could use for trail riding as well. Also, we ride on the ice up here all winter long...so I need something that is usable in those conditions also.

So, I've got a friend with a '95 YZ125 that's modded to the gills and is completely set up for flat track (suspension, exhaust, tires, etc) that he wants $1200 for. I rode it in the races yesterday, and while I loved the power, I couldn't start the bloody thing, died out on the starting line in the mains, and couldn't get it restarted - had to have help doing a running start. Very awkward and exhausting. This concerns me.

I have another friend who rides an 06 YZ250F that she loves (and also wins on)...if I get the YZ, I'd be racing the same class as her. Would I be competitive (assuming I can reign in the power) in a class full of 4t's?

I'm a lone wolf (no pit crew, just me to rely on for mechanics/issues) and while I'm okay with working on my bikes (and getting better), would a 2t be incredibly high maintenance?

I've seen a lot of CRF250's around as well and although I've never ridden one, I've heard good things. But they are a little spendy, and the cheaper the better, for me anyway 🙂

Thoughts?

CRF250. Coming from an owner of two (CRF and YZ) and a good friend of the other (YZF) the crf tops these bikes no doubt. I doubt a 2t is going to be very good for ice riding. You'll love the power of the four stroke. Also, in flat track i assume is mostly about the handling of the bike, and the YZF would suck in that area. They turn horribly. The YZ will be light and quick, but I would look for something newer 05+, just for the aluminum frame and also they have substantially more power than previous years. But overall, I would go for the CRF250. Trust me, no bike will compare.

if you are worrying about maintenance and you are not well with working on your own bike, buy the two stroke..Just look for something newer.. Usually two strokes are wayyy easier to start. A four stroke might be a little too big and heavy for you. Two strokes are really easy to maintain. All you need to do is change the transmission fluid on it every ten hours and clean the air filter.. You need to check valves, change oil, clean air filter, and do oil filter a lot on four strokes so that will hurt the wallet a little more if you do not know how to check valves. Also if you blow up a four stroke it will cost 1200+ to fix, but if you completely blow up a two stroke it will be around 3-400 to fix. A two stroke will also make you a more aggressive rider. If you were going to buy used then i would definitely go with a two stroke because you do not know the history of either bikes but the four stroke could be beat beyond believe, you may take it home and have it blow up right there and look at 1200 in repairs

get the yz125 they rip there made for mx race tracks it will kill a 250 4 stroke im 12 and im geting a yz85

get the yz125 they rip there made for mx race tracks it will kill a 250 4 stroke im 12 and im geting a yz85

um.....nope