Sign in to follow this  

part#/microfiche diagram confusion..3

I noticed while researching different year ignition parts through microfiche part diagrams that different years will show the same part number, but the picture will be a completely different part. For example, an igniter (CDI) for a 1997 KX250 is part# 21119. The igniter for a 2002 KX250 is also part# 21119, but you can see from the picture that they are completely different parts. This makes using part numbers pretty much useless to determine if a part will cross-reference to different years. Other than seeing the picture, to know that it is a different part, how can use part diagrams for part interchange/compatibility purposes? Sometimes, the pictures don’t even help. The exhaust pipes all look the same (in the diagram) and have the same number through many year models, but I know that they are different pipes. This seems odd, am I missing something obvious here?

The part # on the diagram will be the same, but look at the list and the corresponding two-part #'s will be different.

IT'S TOO LATE!! 🙂

rbreak, you are looking at the reference number, which is used to reference the shown part when looking at the parts list (at the bottom of the page).

Just click on the reference number in the picture, and it will highlight the part number and description at the bottom, information section.

You are looking at part number 21119-1492. Go to the upper left and click on the magnifying glass to search. Copy and paste the part number into the box and you will get a list of other microfiche that has a model that it fits. In this case, it is JUST for the 1997 KX250.

Please note that I said it will show a list of fiches that have that part number in them. Some fiches are multiple bikes and may only apply to one bike within the models covered by that fiche. Until a couple of months ago, the site showed the exact models without relation to any other fiches, just models.

Sean, the '70's fiches had 1, 2, 3, etc. as reference numbers. That would be easier, I think. :D

IT'S TOO LATE!! 🙂

rbreak, you are looking at the reference number, which is used to reference the shown part when looking at the parts list (at the bottom of the page).

Just click on the reference number in the picture, and it will highlight the part number and description at the bottom, information section.

You are looking at part number 21119-1492. Go to the upper left and click on the magnifying glass to search. Copy and paste the part number into the box and you will get a list of other microfiche that has a model that it fits. In this case, it is JUST for the 1997 KX250.

Please note that I said it will show a list of fiches that have that part number in them. Some fiches are multiple bikes and may only apply to one bike within the models covered by that fiche. Until a couple of months ago, the site showed the exact models without relation to any other fiches, just models.

Sean, the '70's fiches had 1, 2, 3, etc. as reference numbers. That would be easier, I think. :D

i have some early 80's 250r (trike stuff) 1 to wahtever, much less confusion that way. who came up the arbitrary 3-5 digit ref number anyway? so stupid i guess they do have something to do with the part type

Thanks for the info! Part of my confusion was because I was trying to us Bike Bandit's web site for part numbers, and while their site has the diagrams, it does not have the extended part numbers, just the first five, and then a different bike bandit part number in a seperate column. I did a little more searching and found the complete part numbers on the Ron Ayers site. Much better! Thanks again for the help.

Oh yeah, Bike Bandit will not let you use their diagrams to get a real part number to go shop somehwere else.

When shopping, go by the Kawasaki diagram, then copy and paste it into the store's price box.

careful with the online microfiche they do get confusing, I tried and thought I had matched some things only to find out from the Local kawi dealer it was all wrong.