Sign in to follow this  

old atk 250 questions

i am new to this site and just picked up what i think is an 89 model atk 250,but i am not sure. the bike was somebodys resto project that has changed hands a couple of times before i got it. the engine is supposed to be fresh and the frame has been completely torn apart and repainted. the bike has been put back together to the point of almost being able to be ridden but the engine has never been fired and i wanted to know what type of oil to put in the crankcase and how much and also what the fuel mix is. any other info you guys could give me would be a great help as i havnt been able to find to much info on this bike and want to get it going.

Oil- 1 quart of Rotella-T 20/50. There is an oil level check bolt on the clutch cover, about halfway up.

Mix- 91 octane 40 to 1 with Maxima super M.

Good luck!

thanks! is there anything else i should be aware of on this bike? my old bike was a 1978 pe250 suzuki so i know just about everything on this bike is going to be different.

Well, they are rare bikes. ATK sold three thousand 406's in '88 '89 and '90 and the 250 production was in the hundreds. I think the price was close because they shared the same chassis, so most people bought 406's. The difference is that the 250 is a rotary disk induction system, and the 406 was a reed valve induction. You can get a lot of info for these from the old can-am restorers. Parts are expensive, but you get high quality stuff. I have a 1990 Cross Country 250, and a 1993 ex "factory" mx bike. The ignition systems (Monoplat) on these can be a problem. Easily fixed by replacing it with one from an old can-am (Bosch). The rear brake and a-track system can also give problems, if they are worn out. Use a good o-ring chain to keep the brake and a-track parts clean. You can get all these parts from American Dirt Bike in California. The owner knows these bikes, because he is one of the people who built them, and he owns the old parts inventory. As it sits, mine weighs 202 pounds with no fuel. They are great bikes, I use mine for single track trail riding and have not had any problems. I will post a pic of mine, but the plastic is in rough condition. PM me if you need more info.100_1920.jpg

Don't forget to check the frame on the left side,where the shock gusset is.the earlier frames tended to crack there.

thanks again for the info, i was having trouble finding anything on this bike untill i found this site. it would seem that most of these bikes were on the west coast and not many landed here in tn because everybody just looks at me funny when i say what brand of bike it is,but thats what i like most about it.

I had an '89 and loved it. Make sure you try out the MX rotary valve. It really wakes up the motor. Keith at ADB should have one or give you info on how to cut yours. Any old 20 -50 oil is good in the gearbox. Make sure you keep the kickstarter and gearbox lever tight as they tend to strip the splines. :D I also had to have my frame welded. If I could find another one in good shape, I would buy it. 🙂

well it seems that after sending some pics to gorgon for a side by side compare i really have a 406 ! things just keep getting better.

nice score.The 406 was one of my favorite bikes ever.Great for single track.Keith at ADB is the Man.

Sweet! I wish one of my 250's would "grow up" to a 406!🙂

just fired the bike for the first time yesterday. this thing sounds good! after doing a little further looking on the bike i noticed my stator cover has an extra harness coming out with 3 wires that are not connected to anything. i didnt get a number plate our anything with the bike so i was wondering if my bike was an enduro model that someone pulled the lights off ? i havnt rode it yet as i still have to get a new chain on it and finish some other little odds in ins, but its coming along.