Sign in to follow this  

2008 DRZ400SM mods advice

I have a 2008 DRZ400SM UK bike(I am in London). I have ordered a Yoshimura RS-2 full stainless system(including front pipe). The question is: what else should I be doing to get a decent 5-10 HP boost?

I am thinking of also adding a Dynojet stage 2 kit, Hotcams (inlet & exhaust), using a 400E gasket, doing the 3x3 airbox mod and possibly a K & N filter. If I install the Hotcams, would I have to use uprated valve springs, or have to re-shim? Is the Dynojet kit with standard carb, sufficient enough, or is it really necessary to go for the FCR-MX ? Any advice would be much appreciated,Thanks.

stock SM makes 35hp at the rear wheel.good pipe,3x3 and jetting gets to 38hp.

adding the cams adds another 2hp.

fcr-mx kit is worth 4 hp on top of that.

the hotcams are fine with stock valve springs.

+1000 on FCR , It really wakes up the bike ! I have fcr39 ( not the MX..) , HotCams stage 1 , 3x3 + twin air and Akra slip on ( it came with the bike...) + fmf header and am pretty satisfy with these mods , i drove a buddy s stock DRZsm and it's day/night !

I wouldn't do the 'E gasket , it's the same procedure as installing a 440cc kit and it's not that power . I drove an 'E too and the difference wasn't noticeable .

Good luck with your mods !

You really don't think the E gasket is worth doing? The gasket cost is minimal, and if the cams are off, it doesn't take that much extra work to pull the cylinder off, as well to do the gasket, so I thought it would be a cheap way to add some extra power, on top of the other mods! Does anybody have an idea, as to the HP/torque increase, if the gasket is done?, and also, if there are there any drawbacks to doing the gasket?

I could be wrong, but I think that if you fit the E gasket it will raise the compression, which means you can't run certain lower octane fuels - probably not a problem in the UK, but I'm planning on taking mine to the Himalayas next year and they only have 87 octane fuel in many places.