siezed 01 kx250

Im going to look at an 01 kx250 and apparently it is siezed. He wants $1000:canada: for it. Ive heard that the 01 cylinders have a special coating (nickel?) Are these notorious for flaking off or causing seizures?

Keep in mind here in canada a good running 01 is worth $2500 to $3200. The rest of the bike is supposedly in very good shape. Im hoping to be able to inspect the crank for up/down play. But its going to be tough to estimate the engine condition without a bit of a teardown.

I figure if it can be fixed for $500 its a deal, even up to $1k in repairs. Ive have owned plenty of bikes over the years and can do a lot of work myself. Currently i own a crf450 and wouldnt mind a 2c in the stable as well.

Any opinions appreciated.

thanks

If you are remotely mechanically inclined, it can be eesentially a new engine for well under a grand. You can purchase a complete top and bottom rebuild kit that will include everything for a complete rebuild for $419.99 at Motosport Outlet:

completetopbottomkit.jpg

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/product/COMPLETE-TOP-BOTTOM-END-KIT/?prodId=287406&catalogId=108726&catID=75&pcatID=4&catName=Engine+Parts+and+Accessories&pcatName=Dirt+Bike+Parts&sMMY=KAWASAKI%3BKX250%3B2001&srchHistoryURL=uc6047ua%7C%7CparentCategoryID%7E1%5EsuperParentCategoryID%7Ecategory_root%5EparentCategoryName%7EDirt%5EcategoryID%7E4%5EcategoryName%7EDirt+Bike+Parts%5EsubCategoryName%7EEngine+Parts+and+Accessories%5EsubCategoryID%7E75

If the cylinder plating is worn or damaged, there are many places that will replate it, such as US Chrome, Powerseal USA, or Millenium Technologies. You'll be looking at around $250 and the cylinder wll come back better than new.

Of course this is assuming you are capable of doing the work yourself. If you can't, you'll have to factor in your local labor rates.

• 3 weeks later...

I kinda forgot about this until the guy called me back......seems no one wants it. :wink:

From talking to some mechanics it could be anything from jammed piston pin clip to completley grenaded throughout. This is a nakisil plated cylinder so replating is $300+, plus parts ect.

So no matter what its not a cheap fix at the minimum. Im going to insist I pull the head off and if I cant see anything there (ie: piston siezed at tdc) then I'll have to pull the jug off. But the piston is probably jammed there so whats a safe way to break it loose?

Im interested in the bike again because the kids car needs some work (brakes,cv's) and he's agreeing to trade for it.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well I brought it home today, paid a bit more then i wanted but the rest of the bike seemed good. Also its a 2000, not an 01.

Any ideas on pulling the cylinder off....? The piston is at tdc and I have the cyl. loose but it wont go more then an 1/8th or so. Im thinking heat on the cyl.and the hammer and block of wood on the piston method. I dont want to add to the damage if possible.

What about some wood wedges under the cylinder as Im tapping th piston?

Any help appreciated.

kx250001.jpg

kx250010.jpg

kx250018.jpg

I would be mainly concerned with harming the cases or cylinder (in that order).

The cylinder will need to be sleeved or bored or whatever, but you still don't want to harm the base gasket surfaces by prying or wedging. The last thing you want to do is mess up the cases.

The crank, rod, piston, bearings are all garbage at this point.

Ok thanks, but in doing so would you be worried about rotating the crank? The only way to avoid that I think is to suspend the cylinder as Im hitting the piston.

thanks

I am sure the crank is done but will spin freely. However the problem is going to be the piston has welded it self to the cylinder. Reseat the cylinder and then give it a go at busting that piston loose. It doesn't matter how you get them free from each other because the clyinder is going to be trashed. $419.99 for a complete top end, new crank and bearings kit from motosport.com and then approx $350 for cylinder repair and replating.