Where is the overfill drain screw on a 06 450?

does anyone have a pic of the overfill drain screw for a 2006 yzf 450? I dont know what one it is. I can never seem to get the right amount of oil during oil changes and i figure this must be a dumbass-proof way of getting the right oil level.

there isnt an overfill drain screw. the engine holds 1.27 quart of oil. the proper way to check the oil is to start the engine and let it run for 3 minutes then shut it off and remove oil tank dipstick. insert dipstick back into tank without screwing it in. and that will be your oil level.

its not on the dipstick when cold. the 450 engine is a dry sump engine. when the engine is cold most of the oil drains out of the tank back into the crankcase. when u start the engine the oil is pumped into the oil tank. the oil tank is built into the front part of the engine, and thats where the dipstick is reading. u cant check oil level cold

The '06 and later does not drain back to the crankcases as readily or as much as the earlier models because the tank is at the same level as the sump, instead of up much higher in the frame, but it does happen and it will affect the reading, so the advice should be taken nevertheless. For more info:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5221903#post5221903

Also, the '06 does hold 1.27 qts, but that's a total amount, not the oil change amount. When you correctly drain both the tank and the crankcases, AND change or service the filter, the engine takes 1.06 US quart, which is 34 ounces, or one quart plus 60cc. I add this amount with each oil change, and never have the wrong oil level by doing so.

But the overfill drain is located below the front sprocket, behind the shifter, and is an 8mm hex with a copper washer on it. It's illustrated on page 3-14. DO NOT use the overfill drain until AFTER you have run up the engine.

If you cannot get a good read on the dipstick even after the oil has been drained and refilled AND run up (indicates a too low level), check the pressure balance hose that runs from the right side of the engine to the top of the oil reservoir (tank) for obstructions.

does anyone have a pic of the overfill drain screw for a 2006 yzf 450? I dont know what one it is. I can never seem to get the right amount of oil during oil changes and i figure this must be a dumbass-proof way of getting the right oil level.

how much oil are u putting in the engine?

There is an over flow plug/level plug. The manual has a description and a picture of it on the LH side of the bike near the back of the engine. It is a 8mm head on the plug. I pull out the plug, and fill the oil until it comes out, then when the bike is started it is usually at the right level in the dip stick.

I also put 34 ounces in regardless of filter change or not.I drain the oil so well 34 ounces gets me just on the 2nd line(DIPSTICK) counting from the bottom line every time.

Do not rev the motor,just let it idle for about 2 minutes,if you rev it the oil will be forced up and give a false reading ,TOO MUCH.

I also put 34 ounces in regardless of filter change or not.I drain the oil so well 34 ounces gets me just on the 2nd line(DIPSTICK) counting from the bottom line every time.

Do not rev the motor,just let it idle for about 2 minutes,if you rev it the oil will be forced up and give a false reading ,TOO MUCH.

Good call together with Gray's tip on waiting 15secs. I've gotta recheck my oil level after last change. Was completely stumped, as drained oil, changed filter added about 1.0litre, poured old oil back into oil container (about 1.0litre), fired up, stopped, checked level and had oil overflowing out of the dipstick hole. ?:worthy: May have been a bit quick on the check, or revved her a bit, so will fire her up today and check again.