Sign in to follow this  

02-04 Yz125 transmission

Ok

I wanted to know if any have converted their 02-04 5 spped to the 6 spped trans say like from 95-01.. reason I want to change it my 02 is on its third trans.. they just dont seam to hold together...

I heard it should fit and work . does any one know for sure??

it's not just a simple swap of gears, it would require all tranny gears the shift drum the main drive shaft from the clutch and the clutch could need the older drive gear and maybe a few other little bits. unless you can score a used bottom end for cheap it could be easy $500 plus to do such a mod.

should be spending time looking at the part diagram and the parts comparing what is different.

what is happening to your gearbox?

I havent heard of the 5 speeds being a weak point

well lets see the 3rd and 4th gear dogs are rounded off, the shifter fork is severly burned up. 2 or 3 gears not have either teeth missing or are damaged by the floating metal debris.. When I was riding going from 3 to 4 it hit a false neutral , then bam the bike is dead, . the first trans went out so bad it took out everything inn the trans. i MEAN EVERYTHING. it also destroyed my cases. at the time the buike was only a year or 2 old...

I change the oil regulary, the bike also had a fresh clutch in it.. this trans never missed a beat besides for be notchy like every Yamaha trans. Hell my 98 yz125 , never gave ma a issue at all since new...

yea my mate just blew up his 05 yz125 gearbox too, i like the 6 speed alot more then 5