Sign in to follow this  

Bent Handlebars?

Hey guys. I dumped my xr650l trying to get across some old railroad tracks yesterday and now the front end looks out of whack! However, the bars do not look bent. Is it possible that the forks twisted in the triple clamps? Any way, is there a way to check the alignment? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

I have twisted my forks several times, the best way I know is to remove front fender and eyeball it. and adjustfrom there!

Front ends probably just got out of alignment.Find a suitable tree, lamp post or other solid object and nose the front wheel up to that .Then whack the side of the front wheel/tyre against the object by turning the handlebars.Short sharp jab one way or the other till it comes right and is straight when you ride it.Sit a bit further back on the seat when you ride it after the whacking and it should be pretty obvious if it's straightened up when you eyeball the bars.If it doesn't move you may need to loosen the nut at the top of the steering stem slightly for the adjustment to work.

Yeah...the bars are renthals so I didn't think it was them, I loosened the triple clamp bolts and gave it a tug with my legs holding the wheel and it seems like I got it back where it should be...not exact but close enough...Thanks