Sign in to follow this  

need help crank movement

hi im in need of help im rebuilding my 06 yz250 and the whole crank moves side to side. the big end bearing is still well within spec but, the crank shouldn't be able to move side to side should it? want to know before i split the cases. also if it is bad would i be better of getting a whole new crank of just change out the bearing? thanks

Side to side is fine. Up and down is bad.

yes in the connecting rod, but the hole crank is moving side to side in the cases. i'm going to split it im sure ill find somthing bad inside to make it worth while. it has 200 hour meter hours are on it never been split

yes in the connecting rod, but the hole crank is moving side to side in the cases. i'm going to split it im sure ill find somthing bad inside to make it worth while. it has 200 hour meter hours are on it never been split

The crank itself should not slide side to side freely. I would suggest tearing it down and checking the crank shafts with a mic to see if they are undersized. Haven't seen that one before, but it could happen. If it were mine I would do a crank and new mains at the same time.....For the extra couple bucks you can get a Hot Rod crank that is stroked 3 mm. Be a nice little addition for very little extra money.

Good luck.

The crank itself should not slide side to side freely. I would suggest tearing it down and checking the crank shafts with a mic to see if they are undersized. Haven't seen that one before, but it could happen. If it were mine I would do a crank and new mains at the same time.....For the extra couple bucks you can get a Hot Rod crank that is stroked 3 mm. Be a nice little addition for very little extra money.

Good luck.

isnt that going to raise the compression and make the piston go closer to the head? im have i icecube 276 so i dont know if i will make a different

Good luck.

I am going to critique here a little bit. The above bold statement is incorrect!! The crankshaft has side to side movement that is completely normal and there is no need to split the cases due to just this. But if your just feeling like it, a stroker crank would be a nice addition. And NO it will not hit your head. 3mm stroker means the the lower rod pin is offset 1.5mm up and the rod is 1.5mm shorter.