Sign in to follow this  

Help - 2006 TE510 Overheating??

Hi,

I purchased a used 2006 TE510. I keep having trouble with it overheating when riding in 1st/2nd gear single track in 80 degree weather. I'm not screaming it, or running it hard and it boils over.

I've added the Y-tube to replace the T in the radiator and changed the rad fluid to Engine Ice in hopes of getting it to run cooler.

I was on a recent ride with some KTM's, DRZ's and a Yamaha... ...they all ran fine and had no issues in the trails we were on.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

My 07 TE 510 overheats under the same conditions too!! I'm going to install a rad fan and thermo switch to hopfully fix this problem. I admit that I am running a 15 tooth front sprocket for dualsport riding and I do need to slip the clutch in the tight stuff ( this is what causes the over heating I think).

Big

I have done every mod to keep mine cool and it has not been an issue since..

I did the "Y", run "ICE", got my jetting set-up right(thx Coffee) and installed a 610 fan. I still got hot until I did the final add on, the fan.

It "boils"(hahaha) down to this, I use my clutch way more then I should when in the rocks and tight stuff and I suspect it is the heat problem in most cases unless jetting is off.

Mine only gets hot on long technical stuff where I'm using the clutch a lot! I could lose the fan if I'd just improve my skills a bit..I have a manuel button on the bars and turn it on whenever I hit the technical stuff other then that I never use it..

Just for info if you have the stock tank the 610 fan with braket mounts right up. Also works with the Clarke tank according to info from sharpie1. I paid a bit over $100 for it from Dan at MotoXotica..

Is the jetting correctly? Lean mixture can cause overheating. I ride in the amazon area over 40ºC and 90% humidity in the air without a problem.

Rodolfo,

I'd love to visit your country some day. Do you have any riding pics posted anywhere?

Greg

I ride a 2007 610 in Tucson summers with temps often over 100 degrees. My two riding buddies on a KTM 690E and a 6008 KLR have their fans coming on all the time while mine seldom comes on - maybe 5 times in 4000 miles and a lot of this is tight offroad.

I too overheated in singletrack, redlights, & riding with my son on his crf50.

I recently changed my plug to cr9eb (cooler plug), and I haven't overheated since. I can idle as long as need now, road some single track on different days & spend about 2 hours following my son around on his new crf70. No boiling over. Worked for me - 07 TE450 with JD jet kit.

I've got the Y, but still running factory coolant. Only times I ever boil over have been when I'm waiting for someone at a trail intersection, and the bike is idling. Even then, it takes a while. I don't know what the clutch is doing all the time since I have a Rekluse.

I'd like to run a fan, but I don't think there is a setup that will work with both the stock tank and the IMS I run sometimes. I don't think there would be room for it between the radiator and tank.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. This gives me lots to try!

I appreciate it!

Hi Greg, we would welcome you here and also provide the bikes for you to ride. We have most of all brands her but basically all stock as we do not have acess to all those special parts and mods you do over there, anyhow, all running fine. Will send you pictures and links to videos on youtube soon. We cover long distances on secondary roads withouth seeing any sight of a human life and very tight wood trails with lots of logs and deep water crossings. KTM´s , that doenst have an air filter box are that can be sealed are suffering here sucking water in and also with overheating. Huskys are doing fine but we are the few ones ridding real enduro bikes as 80% uses Honda CRF230 and modified onoff Honda XR250 Tornados.

We placed a couple of computer coolers behind the radiators of a KTM EXC 525 and it worked, no overheating even at 42ºC. Unfortunately original system is not available here, only imported....

You might try wrapping the lower radiator hoses down by the pipe and the other side as well...I bought a length of heat resistant hose and pulled it right over the existing hoses. I can't remember the the company that makes the hose. I think it's Fyre something rather. Since the heat wrap and a coolant catch tank, my bike has not overheated. I'm going to do some looking for the heat wrap and get back to you...

Interesting - so the rad hoses were absorbing heat from the cylinder again and counter-acting the radatiator?

I too overheated in singletrack, redlights, & riding with my son on his crf50.

I recently changed my plug to cr9eb (cooler plug), and I haven't overheated since. I can idle as long as need now, road some single track on different days & spend about 2 hours following my son around on his new crf70. No boiling over. Worked for me - 07 TE450 with JD jet kit.

Brilliant!