Sign in to follow this  

KTM 125 SX vs RM 125

I never considered KTM before, don't know much about it. I have an RM 125. How do they compare in performance, comfort, steering, competition, maintenence, etc;? Is it true that 144's can compete with 125's? Does KTM make a 144? It's a nice looking bike. Is the frame aluminum, powder coated or ? Which would smoke which.?

Thanks for the sound off.

Yes... KTM does build a 144 and it's just setting there waiting for you...

The 144 will smoke any of the 125 bikes but back to the 125's...

I belive, any of the 125's are just as fast as you are unless your a top 125 rider. The mag's say the KTM has the storngest (HP) engine.

I never considered KTM before, don't know much about it. I have an RM 125. How do they compare in performance, comfort, steering, competition, maintenence, etc;? Is it true that 144's can compete with 125's? Does KTM make a 144? It's a nice looking bike. Is the frame aluminum, powder coated or ? Which would smoke which.?

Thanks for the sound off.

Why does it matter? Maintenance is the same, and the rest is rider preference. Yea, a 144 can race with a 125. And a 250 smoker can race in the same class as a 125 too.

A good rider on a 125 can dust an average rider on a 450. It's all rider.... 🙂

Why does it matter? Maintenance is the same, and the rest is rider preference. Yea, a 144 can race with a 125. And a 250 smoker can race in the same class as a 125 too.

A good rider on a 125 can dust an average rider on a 450. It's all rider.... 🙂

wait what? are you serious?

wait what? are you serious?

Yes, I am very serious. The AMA changed the amateur rules this year so the classes are based on cc's per bike, regardless of 2 or 4 stroke. The classes are 250 A, B, and C. In there, any bike from 122cc up to 250cc can race in that class. Then it's the Open class, A, B, and C. Any bike above 122cc can race in that class.

Those rules are only effective at the amateur level though. 🙂

I'm pretty confused (being not all familiar with AMA). Why don't they have:

125 class

250 class

250F class

450F class

and for all the odd cc's - just stick them together in their respective cc's. Also, and I know this is going to sound ridiculous - why don't they allow only stock bikes and put the manufacturers in charge of the responsibility of building performance (verses the riders requiring their expense with their own team, mechanics and expense) to truly determine rider vs rider. If it's going to be rider against rider, make all things equal.

I'm sure I sound like a numbskull, but, that's how I see things as being fair by leveling and equaling the playing field. Maybe I'll learn the rationale from this post on why things are the way they are - so thanks.

Back to the KTM - any FACTS about which is better, faster, handling, ownership - etc;

I'm pretty confused (being not all familiar with AMA). Why don't they have:

125 class

250 class

250F class

450F class

and for all the odd cc's - just stick them together in their respective cc's. Also, and I know this is going to sound ridiculous - why don't they allow only stock bikes and put the manufacturers in competition with each other to truly determine rider vs rider. The way it's set up it now requires the expense and expertise of a team - doing things like hallowing out bolts (I heard RC did that somewhere) to get a competitive edge. If it's going to be athlete against athlete, make all things equal.

I'm sure I sound like a numbskull, but, that's how I see things as being fair by leveling and equaling the playing field. Maybe I'll learn the rationale from this post on why things are the way they are - so thanks.

Back to the KTM - any FACTS about which is better, faster, handling, ownership - etc;

Have you ever been to a race before? If they did it like that, we'd never get 2 motos a piece. Hell, I'm lucky if I get out of the track by 6pm, there just isn't enough time in the day for a schedule like that. And besides, at the amateur level it's all about rider...not bike. I get so sick and tired when I hear people saying how if they had a new bike or something, they be so much faster. BS.

PJ Larsen showed up to Budds Creek a month or so before the Motocross of Nations, and team Costa Rico was also there. PJ whooped them and everyone else there that day. After his second moto, I was riding around with my friend and his dad who is the head medic, and we picked up PJ's mechanic in the Rhino. I kid you not, he was riding a BONE STOCK KX250F. He absolutely demolished everyone, even the Costa Rico guys on their modded out 450's...

After that, that was all the proof I needed. You give me a fast kid on an 85 and an average guy on a 450, I bet the kid on the 85 would win. 90% rider, 10% machine.

Actually, I haven't been to a race. I'm new after years and years of absence as the world has been turning -- I'm in my 40's now. I'm just getting acclamaited again - but, I'm sure it's all been thought out well enough (or maybe it's like college football and the AMA still does stupid things - I don't know). Anyway, I'd still like to see "equal" playing field in all things.

from what i've heard and read. the ktms are the fastest off the floor but it lacks in the suspension areas which i believe is why its not seen alot in the upper levels of racing. (come to think of it i have yet to see one at my local track) but i would consider buying a 4 stroke. easier to ride(you can putt around and not have to be in the power band to take off) less clutch play. just an idea

Actually, I haven't been to a race. I'm new after years and years of absence as the world has been turning -- I'm in my 40's now. I'm just getting acclamaited again - but, I'm sure it's all been thought out well enough (or maybe it's like college football and the AMA still does stupid things - I don't know). Anyway, I'd still like to see "equal" playing field in all things.

Personally, I think it's plenty equal. The AMA recognizes the fact that like I've stated, and so have many others, it's the rider that is going to win races, not the bike. I've been dusted by kids on 85's and have dusted guys on 450 thumpers while on my RM125...

rider > bike

🙂

for me, the only choices for a 125 2T, in order of priority are:

YZ125

RM125

...and no more 🙂

see from what i've gathered. its all personal preference and what you've been riding the longest. i know kids that swear by hondas 125's while others swear its rm all the way. basically its your own thing and what you grew up with. i think for the most part they've pushed these bikes as far as there going to go and there all about even now. except ktm is fastest out of the factory

if your a c rider or better get a rm250 or a yz250(which ever one you can get a good deal on)if you havent been riding long or just plane love the 125s get a yz125 and bore it out to a 144.or if you ride a ktm and like the handling get the ktm144sx but beware the ktm,s have the worst handling but that dosent mean they dont handle good