Sign in to follow this  

Noob on dirt, just bought '00 520EXC

Didn't see a "Introduce Yourself" thread so I just jumped in here to post up. I will be using this forum a lot since this is my first dirtbike. I've been on street bikes for eight years, was going to attempt roadracing in Oahu (moving there in Feb '09) but the track is no longer open.

I was deciding between a klx400sr, 426 and the 520 that I bought. I think I made the best choice in the type of riding I'm looking to get in to. Attempting to get it tagged in AL here in a couple of months (after I return from Iraq).

Anything I should be looking for once I actually see it? I know about the cam gear/bearing(?) and trying to switch everything to the '03. The guy I bought it from is a second owner and he doesn't know if it's been changed out yet. Would a KTM dealership be able to check this out and fix it for a decent price?

It has an aftermarket exhaust (w/spark arrestor), -1/+2, o-ring, aftermarket shock (set at 220lbs, I'm 190lbs) and a ProTek handle. Is there anything else that I should look at buying for it before I head back?

Thanks in advance for any input. Can't wait to get back and jump on it, I've heard nothing but good things about this bike.

your first dirtbike... a 520. I know you will learn good throttle control real fast. the -1/+2 is the changes to your final drive correct?

Thanks for you rservice to our country:applause:

you will love this bike. I have and 01 520 exc and I dice it up with the new xc two strokes in tight woods. that is after it lasted through two 24 hour races. In my mind these are gentle giants of motors. you may want to look into the G2 Ergonomics throttle cam system. It can help you from opening the carb up to quickly (by accident). It is easier to stay smooth. Trust me, if you have the throttle all the way open, you had better have some where to go.

I believe that a mechanic would have to open the top end to see if you have the updated cam gear. It is still worth it. Mine died when the cam gear lost it's auto decomp stop and it was about two grand later before I was riding again. Enjoy your ride.

Yeah, down one up front and up two in the rear.

Looks like I'm going to go get it checked? The KTM dealerships don't keep track of which bikes cam in for service or was it just a fix at your own expense type of service bulletin?

Yeah I'm currently looking over all the 520 threads to try and catch myself up on the bike before I get on it in about two months. Didn't really want to start on a smaller bike since I would just have to sell it and look for another one. My first street bike was a ZX7R, it just a matter of taking your time to get to know the bike before you let 'er rip.

Anything I should be looking for once I actually see it? I know about the cam gear/bearing(?) and trying to switch everything to the '03. The guy I bought it from is a second owner and he doesn't know if it's been changed out yet. Would a KTM dealership be able to check this out and fix it for a decent price?

The mods are

02+ cam bearings

03 cam-sprocket (due to the auto decomp "bolt")- only need the sprocket- not the whole cam- you could inspect yours where the water pump seals ride for wear- and where the cam contacts the rocker roler bearings

02+ water pump carrier, washer, seals, orings

03 lower timing chain guide (have to remove flywheel to switch)

check/ retorqe woodruff key and crank nut (right side) use red locktight- many came loose

I would be very good to that bike as far as maintenence the first year if you want to keep it- then you know what shape its in- regrease everything- and go through it- clean the carb- write doun jeting specs- check the AP diaphram....

or just change the oils and ride it:thumbsup:

Awesome. Thanks for the post up guys. I'll be sure to get all the "mods" installed as soon as I get back.

oh, and if you change your own oil either get the brap bolt, or make sure that you torque the allen on the bottom of the engine perfectly, because it tends to get stuck.

The posts here cover a lot. JEB had a lot of this info on the early KTM's and saved it in text links on his signature. A great resource to get the bike running strong and dependable from the start line.

Good Choice. I got my '02 520 after many years on road bikes (gave that up). Hadn't ridden dirt since the early 80's (RM125)

The motor is nothing scary - "gentle giant" as someone put it. Get your rear susp dialed in.

Thanks for all the inputs. I've already learned a lot from this forum. Can't get on KTMtalk though since I only have free email accounts. Tried sending admin a message but it keeps getting kicked back.

Got lucky and the seller still had the MSO so "fingers crossed" it's going to be streetable here in a month or two.