Sign in to follow this  

Rode a tuned FI SMR450,,NICE!!!

My bro got a 08 SMR450 and I have been waiting to see how it compared to my 06 SMR450 w/JD jetting and hours of tune time,,,

I want one with FI. He plugged in a PC3, followed some directions from FBF's Big Dog hisself and it rips. My bike is in pieces waiting for a part from the machine shop,,,,ARRRGH! I can't wait to get these back to back. Biggest difference, whack the throttle open and no lag, it pulls and my FCRed SMR has been tuned to perfection and in comparison, has a little lag.

Decel/comp braking has a totally different feel, it is perfectly consistant, never flutters or hints of it all the way down the RPMs. Perfect decel "drag" if that makes sense. My carbed SMR feels like it changes slightly in amount of drag, the opposite of surging I guess, it is just clearly different.

I'm sold, this works.

My biggest concern was fuel consumption, my bro is getting 54 MPG in street riding,,,about the same as his FCR 450 KTM was getting so it isn't better, but no worse either.

I'm not selling everything and buying new bikes but when the time comes, the Husky FI, with a good tune, is excellent, I'd never know a perfect carb wasn't there.

We are just coming off a terrible KTM 690 FI experience and the way the 450 ran near stock and in HVA "power up" it didn't look promising. The FBF tune and adjustablilty with the PC3 are a transformation. This is how it should work! Really good, and we were thinking of converting to a carb. Hope the feelings are the same in a year.

We are just coming off a terrible KTM 690 FI experience and the way the 450 ran near stock and in HVA "power up" it didn't look promising. The FBF tune and adjustablilty with the PC3 are a transformation. This is how it should work! Really good, and we were thinking of converting to a carb. Hope the feelings are the same in a year.

Thats good news about the FBF PC. My 250 runs excellent but FBF says that their PC will give it a significant boost in throttle response. I have been very hesitant to try it until I read your post. Keep us updated.

Now I gotta wonder why they built the TC & TXC with carbs if the "closed course" FI can be this good??? It removes the ever so slight delay and you are only waiting for the engine to build power, not for the fuel to catch up. It feels like a better connection to the crankshaft from the throttle, if that makes sense.

Another question is why the TEs and maybe even the TCs don't have this SMR counterbalancer??? It dosen't really affect the hit, but the engine feels like a "newer generation" redesign. Buttery smooth.

Now I gotta wonder why they built the TC & TXC with carbs if the "closed course" FI can be this good??? It removes the ever so slight delay and you are only waiting for the engine to build power, not for the fuel to catch up. It feels like a better connection to the crankshaft from the throttle, if that makes sense.

Another question is why the TEs and maybe even the TCs don't have this SMR counterbalancer??? It dosen't really affect the hit, but the engine feels like a "newer generation" redesign. Buttery smooth.

Wonder if that can be installed?

same feelings on my 08 TE250 with FI. Best thing that's ever happened on two wheels. Perfect from day 1.

My bro got a 08 SMR450 and I have been waiting to see how it compared to my 06 SMR450 w/JD jetting and hours of tune time,,,

I want one with FI. He plugged in a PC3, followed some directions from FBF's Big Dog hisself and it rips.

that's great news! Can you elaborate a little on what he did to get it to run so well? I have a brand-new SM510 with the power up kit installed and have a PCIII on the way. Does your brother's bike have the power-up kit? Has his bike received iBeat tuning at the dealer? Is it the PCIII sold by FbF? Any tricks to dialing in the PCIII without putting it on a dyno?

Thanks. Jon

His bike has the power-up & FBF PC3, excellent tool. His is almost perfect, going to chase a 3900-4100 RPM ever so slight flat spot. He has been riding it alot and noticed that, but it is really slight,(or his imagination as I couldn't feel it). He admits that if it was carbed he wouldn't notice or try to tune it out, but since he can push a few keys and change it he will. I think he just wants to try the software.

The PC3 really opens up a new world of adjustment. I'm thinking a 08-09 SMR based MXer would be sweet. FI & counterbalanced,,,hmmmmmmm...

His bike has the power-up & FBF PC3, excellent tool. His is almost perfect, going to chase a 3900-4100 RPM ever so slight flat spot. He has been riding it alot and noticed that, but it is really slight,(or his imagination as I couldn't feel it). He admits that if it was carbed he wouldn't notice or try to tune it out, but since he can push a few keys and change it he will. I think he just wants to try the software.

The PC3 really opens up a new world of adjustment. I'm thinking a 08-09 SMR based MXer would be sweet. FI & counterbalanced,,,hmmmmmmm...

I wonder if the SMR450 has the same fuel hole as my TE450. I do a +3 from 3500 to 5250.