Sign in to follow this  

Should have had a skid plate...HELP!

Ok....I'm stupid:bonk: I should have paid the 50 bucks and got a TT skid plate for my TAT trip, but I didn't and now I have a bike with JB weld holding the oil in....well....holding most of it in....it still leaks. This all happend at around 12,000 feet in Colorado. 14 riders of Team IFP went over Hancock pass on that fatefull day with only 2 bikes being damaged....damage beyond repair....well a few thought so, but I never say die. I came down hard on a rock that just missed my TT cover and my stock skid plate...it hit the inner clutch cover right on the drain plug, chipping a fairly large hole and shearing off the drain plug along with some explodium. That was my bike....my roomate for the trip riding a DR650 without a skid plate came down on a rock and punched a fist sized hole in the bottome of the crankcase....or rather both side....right in the middle. We managed to put Gorilla duct tape over the rather large holes in both our bikes...we then put JB weld over that and overlapped it on the metal. One of us went for oil while we repaired the bikes....by the time oil arrived the JB had set enough...we filled them with oil and it seemed to be working.....we proceeded on to Lake City where we found that the DR650 was leaking oil pretty good and my DRZ400 had a very small drip....I made up my mind to ride the rest of the trip into Salina Utah...Salida? I made the rest of the trip just fine but now I need to replace the Inner Clutch Cover......it is around 152 bucks...with the gasket included. Is it just a simple removal and replacement? What am I getting into here? Any advise will be appreciated. Those of you thinking of going over Hancock pass......don't do it without a full size skid plate.....and rejetting for altitude....at least remove the snorkle.

Not sure what you mean by the inner clutch case but if its the case the clutch cover bolts to then its dead easy, undo all the bolts and pull away (you'll need a new gasket) you'll have to swap over the waterpump but thats pretty straight forward. Check the primary nut and clutch basket while your there and do the locktite fix. I'm just doing mine and found it lose. Look for headsters post on the primary nut fix it shows all the pics.

Dan

Skid plates are like American Express. You dont leave home without them.

Sorry to hear about your hassle...

You're talking about the right crankcase cover, I assume. Yes, it is a bolt on replacement with the new gasket. However, you'll have to move your water pump assembly over from the old crankcase cover to the new one.

I'll be replacing my water pump assembly as soon as the part arrives. I'll take pics of the removal of the old one and installation of the new one, which is essentially what you'll be doing on your bike.

By the way, not to belabor something painful, but I bet it seems super obvious now that you really can't do any serious offroad riding without a good skid plate. You're lucky you didn't strand yourself and others in the middle of nowhere.

Post some pictures of the damage please!

Ok....I'm stupid:bonk: I should have paid the 50 bucks and got a TT skid plate for my TAT trip

Tsk tsk....🙂 I just installed my TT plate, I'm lucky my KLX survived as long as it did with the home-made POS plate I fandangled on there. One look at the bottom of that one says it all. They're worth their weight in gold! I busted the heck outta my clutch cover once, replaced with a SFB billet-aluminum one, $140, much stronger than the stock magnesium one. Food for thought when your rear brake lever goes through it :D