Sign in to follow this  

This Sucks.

Ok i was shimming my valves last night and when i went to put the valve cover back on the right bolt just keeps spinning in it. i backed it out and find metal in the threads:thumbsdn: so i take a light and look into the threads and they got stripped out somehow 🙂 the bolt will still go in there but it wont tighten up and you cant just pull it straight out. so does anyone know where i can get that cam holder thing at its the one that says R IN so its the right one. all i can find is that you have to buy a complete new head to get both of them. i put loctite in there to keep it from doing anything until i can fix it.

You cannot just buy the cam holders.

What you can do is very carefully heli coil the threads in the cam cap for the head cover. If you are not comfortable doing it, a machine shop will do it for you for not too much money.

take the cam holder to a machine shop and have them install a timesert not a helicoil the timesert will lock in place the last 3 threads will expand as sometimes a helicoil will come out with the bolt. Good luck I wouldn't run it until it fixed right all you need is the bolt to come out and start leaking oil all over the place and blow your motor.

....and then go out and buy yourself a torque wrench!

i do have a torque wrench a very good one at that and i had it at 7 pounds and it never did click.🙂 and i wasnt turning it very hard at all.

i have never even held a torque wrench and have never had a prob. they just get in the way lol

i do have a torque wrench a very good one at that and i had it at 7 pounds and it never did click.🙂 and i wasnt turning it very hard at all.

Well that sucks then....who last touched those bolts??? Who ever is was, they most likely stripped the bolts leaving just enough thread to hold down cover until they were removed.

If no one is to blame, maybe your torque wrench is defective and might have to be calibrated.

Good luck

Ps. I do have an old head if you need it. It needs all new valve train though.

i have never even held a torque wrench and have never had a prob. they just get in the way lol

true....it's relatively cheap insurance, and cheaper than a new head. I never had my own torque wrench either until i read on TT that stripping those bolts could potentially mean a new head. And, I didn't feel like stripping the bolts on my new RHC head.

Before you blame yourself too much or the torquewrench, some wrenches click so faintly at these low specs. that you can't hear or feel it. If it also reads in inch pounds, it it probably okay, you just need to learn it. If it reads in foot pounds, that light setting maybe just too close to nothing. I use a beam type or torqueometer (has a round gauge to watch) for work in aluminum. Also I would use a heli-coil, easy to find/install and works great as long as you respect the torque.

....and then go out and buy yourself a torque wrench!

Torque wrenches can do more harm than good on the light duty stuff, go by feel with your hand.

I did the same thing once. The aluminum thread is soft and easy to strip out. The ultimate way to fix it is the use a a heli coil (like mentioned)

But if you want a temporary fix, find a bolt that has the same threads but is longer then the bolt for the head cover. Use the longer bolt, the rubber washer and any other washer you have to make it work. Then fill the area around the bolt with silicone. I will not leak. I had to do this once when i had a race the next day and it was too late to go get a heli coil.

The bolts designed for the head cover do not go all the way to the bottom of the threads, you should still have a couple threads left, just enough for a longer bolt to grab. It doesnt need to be very tight.

ok thanks for all the help guys. i guess i could get dad to do it since he has all the tools. 🙂 unless someone has a cam holder i could buy :D