Sign in to follow this  

help with my stock exhaust (KLR250)

I'm getting this bike ready for a trip to Colorado where a spark arrester will be required. I'm fairly certain the stock exhaust comes with a spark arrestor, but this looks like it may have been modified so I'm not for sure.

I'm hoping one of you might be able to help me see if something is missing.

This is what the end cap looked like when I got the bike. Looks like somebody was really trying to yank it out with a pair of pliers.

100_4932.jpg

I grabbed it on a spot that was already mangled, and it came out relatively easily. This is what came out - matches the microfiche diagram as a part described as the "baffle".

100_4934.jpg

100_4935.jpg

100_4936.jpg

And this is what's left in the pipe after the insert was out.

100_4933.jpg

I'm used to seeing a screen of some sort in the insert, which this does not have. Way down in the front of the muffler looks like something I might describe as a "turbine type" spark arrestor, but I've never seen one so I'm just grasping at straws.

I really don't need to haul this thing 800+ miles and get out in the middle of nowhere to be ticketed or have (my wifes!) bike impounded.

Help!

i think yer good to go. what you pulled is the baffle. the cone looking thingy is the spark arrestor. i was amazed at the power increase and cool sound after i pulled the baffle.

Being from Colorado I know what they are looking for. I was just checked at a local trail head. If the pipe is altered or looks altered you will probably get a warning and not allowed to ride that day. If caught riding off road you will get a ticket. It must have U.S. forest service stamped on the arrester or it is an automatic ticket. A .030 wire cannot pass through into the header or its a ticket. zero tolerance as explained by the officer. They are taking forest fires very serious. ohv stickers are required unless you have plates. $ 150.00 fines as of july 1st. If you are unsure or have any doubts I wouldn't take a chance. Colorado is really cracking down. Hope this helped. Go Green 🙂