Sign in to follow this  

anyone run studs on the street?

picked up a junk set of studded tires. im wondering what the best stud pattern is for the street. right now every knob has at least 3 studs....

(just prepping for winter riding)

-dave

Studded as in for ice? Thats not safe at all, metal and asphalt dont equal good traction. I would wait till the snow comes. Thats just my .02 however.

I can't imagine anything but bad news with studs on the street. That's just me though.

someone tossed some lightly used studded tires and i grabbed them. just wondering if i will have any use for them since i will be riding year round.

-dave

Why is it that every time I see that photo all I can hear is "It's fun to stay at the YMCA"?

ok ok i get it... studs on street = bad news. guess ill be tossing the tires as well. thanks guys!

-dave

No, no.

Keep the tires. I run studs on the street, and screws in the ice in the winter.

One stud per knob is plenty of traction for getting to work and back.

There's a whole section of a thread where we talked about this topic, on ADVrider.com

I ended up putting ice screws in a set of tires, and we rode the FS roads in the winter.

On the KLR, I put studs, and rode it to work in the ice and snow all winter.

No, no.

Keep the tires. I run studs on the street, and screws in the ice in the winter.

One stud per knob is plenty of traction for getting to work and back.

There's a whole section of a thread where we talked about this topic, on ADVrider.com

I ended up putting ice screws in a set of tires, and we rode the FS roads in the winter.

On the KLR, I put studs, and rode it to work in the ice and snow all winter.

Can you find that link? I plan on riding my L this winter when the snow falls.

Can you find that link? I plan on riding my L this winter when the snow falls.

What part of Nevada are you located? Snow??...or have you been tuning into the Barack Hell-no Obama campaign again? , Maybe your speaking of the little-known deadly Sand-Ice combination? 🙂

Nev'r been to Nevada...I guess I'm a just an ignorant suthern boy pokin' fun at ya'll . :D

Why is it that every time I see that photo all I can hear is "It's fun to stay at the YMCA"?

LMAO!!!!! I couldn't have put it better.🙂

What part of Nevada are you located? Snow??...or have you been tuning into the Barack Hell-no Obama campaign again? , Maybe your speaking of the little-known deadly Sand-Ice combination? 🙂

Nev'r been to Nevada...I guess I'm a just an ignorant suthern boy pokin' fun at ya'll . :D

Carson City area. The capitol. Its 30 miles from S. Lake Tahoe. We will have snow for 3-4 months out of the year. The rest of the year is typical high desert.

Carson City area. The capitol. Its 30 miles from S. Lake Tahoe. We will have snow for 3-4 months out of the year. The rest of the year is typical high desert.

Wow, Good to know...My apologies! 🙂

After looking at a map I see what you mean...I thought you were just being facetious because when I "Think" of Nevada I think of Las Vegas and Desert! I guess you get that alot!

I've been to Lake Tahoe from the CA side and there was nothing hot or even warm about it (needed wetsuits to ski during the summer!) BUT Very beautiful area! With 1/3rd of the year in snow, is that normally down time and you ride the wheels off in the spring and summer? OR Does it just add to the variety in terrain and ride in snow as well?

Thanks for the Geography lesson...I needed check out the rest of our wonderful country and its good for me to look outside my small radius of TN/AR/MS/AL

Wow, Good to know...My apologies! :D

After looking at a map I see what you mean...I thought you were just being facetious because when I "Think" of Nevada I think of Las Vegas and Desert! I guess you get that alot!

I've been to Lake Tahoe from the CA side and there was nothing hot or even warm about it (needed wetsuits to ski during the summer!) BUT Very beautiful area! With 1/3rd of the year in snow, is that normally down time and you ride the wheels off in the spring and summer? OR Does it just add to the variety in terrain and ride in snow as well?

Thanks for the Geography lesson...I needed check out the rest of our wonderful country and its good for me to look outside my small radius of TN/AR/MS/AL

No need for apologies!🙂

I ride year round, hence my interest in possibly studding my MT21's.

We have a nice variety of riding here.

I'd like to go east someday and ride, my wife was born in Pittsburg and wants to go back someday to see it...

im pretty sure these are ice screws...

Oh... that's another story. If they're ice screws, I wouldn't commute on them... unless you're sure you going to be in snow (at least a couple inches deep), or you're sure you're going to be on ice. Because if you hit pavement with screws, you're going to be skating around really badly... not to mention you can trash our ice screws in a matter of a few miles.