Sign in to follow this  

sucking H2O in my L help!

Lots of rain up here lately and the streams and puddles are now rivers and lakes. I have been having real problems taking in water and bogging the motor. Running a uni and snorkel removed set up and the water is entering through the side panel. Is their a way of making the air box water tight on the side panel area so only the top will suck air?

Home depot sells some weather stripping that is very thin and compressible that should fit in the groove the side panel interlocks onto. Another line of defense could be to cut some foam and tack it in that side of the airbox to create a barrier of entry. Putting foam over all of the openings is a good idea to keep the water from gushing in during rides in extremely wet situations.

-Good luck:thumbsup:

That's weird, it shouldn't be coming in the side like that. 🙂

The side panel interlocks with the airbox. I ride through deep water crossings all the time with no problems, and half of my airbox is cut open on top. Are you sure the side panel is interlocking in the grove in the airbox? Maybe it's out of line or something? Have you cut breather holes in the side panel? :D

Thanks for the weatherstrip tip. No holes cut but it looks like the side panel airbox is not sealing correctly. I usually don't hit water this deep but everything up here is allot higher than normal.

It can be quite difficult to get the airbox cover (sidepanel) to seal right.

I usually lay down on the ground and look up to make sure its fitted tight.

Dave