Sign in to follow this  

Dr. mark, progress update on my patella fracture

Well, I am at 11 weeks, finally on my last week. all is going well, strength is great, I am walking well, I still use a compression brace with patella tracking for most of the day, I just feel stronger and more secure with it. I can bend almost as much as my good leg. On Friday, I actually got on my GSXR and took it to the gas station and back.

Today, I actually tested the knee repair, not on purpose, I was cleaning the house and stepped on a plastic hangar, and I went down, and hit the knee. I saw stars for awhile, but after 3 minutes or so it was fine, sore but fine, movement still great. I am icing it but it feels just like before just a bit sore where I hit it. So I guess we can say, the job was okay?

it sounds good. How much flexion do you have compared to the other knee?

if I lie flat on the bed and point the legs straight up and bend at the knee then measure from my rear to my heal, there is maybe 2 inches difference. if I lie down and flex with the heel on the bed, again from heel to rear, there is at best 1 inch difference. It is improving week to week. I cannot say in degrees as my brace only went to 110 and I am way over that. I bought two of EVS SXo1 knee braces to ride as they are basically neoprene sleeves with aluminum hinges for over extenxion help and patella protectors, I think they will help and not break my femur. I have also got a EVS neck brace on order, but they keep pushing back the delivery date. I tried the Leatt, but I am a big guy and it really did not fit, and hte evs will have a XL size. The leatt is only a med, even though they have ways to try and fit it, I would perfer a brace design to fit me not one that I made due.

also on my GSXR, stock pegs it is very comfortable, but my SV1000 has race rearsets, I can get there but it is still tight.

After next week my md will let me go for PT. Up to now it has been just me

I should also note, the only things that cause discomfort are if I have the leg flexed and I extend, again, les discomfort every day, but that does still hurt, also if I have the leg flexed with the heel resting on the foot rest of the easy chair and I lift the leg and extend to straight , that is uncomfortable to painful at times, but again better day by day. Lastly, going down stairs, I still need a handrail at times when the bad leg is on the lower step, dooable but not fun, and I feel safer with a rail still

You need at least 130 degrees to be any good in sports.

Kneel, like a Catholic would do in Church.

Then slowly lower your butt to your heels.

That's the way to get terminal flexion.