Sign in to follow this  

proper spring rates?

Hey i just did a quick search and i didnt find anything, but what are the proper spring rates for myself. I weigh 130 pounds and im an intermediate track rider. i ride trails alot too but i can cope with the harsh suspension ( i have for a long time) i have a stock crf250r and im pretty sure its over sprung for my weight, Any help would be great.

Thanks, JJ

I am 130 lbs as well and am using 0.42 kg/mm fork springs, and a 4.8 kg/mm shock spring. I like how they work for me.

I also have a 1.76 kg pressure spring for the forks, I would go with 1.61 though. And I have the FC high speed compression dampening spring mod for the shock.

Now I'm just waiting on Dave J's trick oil and Phase 4 valving and my suspension will be top notch 🙂

----I ride track and trails.

thanks honda 250 f rider, is it hard to install ur own springs? and what settings do u have ur clickers on?

what year is your bike?

mines an 07

its not too hard to install your own springs.

For the forks I have it at 14 compression and 9 rebound - 375ccs oil volume, probably could go with less...

Shock - 3 high speed comp dampening - 16 low speed compression, and 10 rebound. 108 mm sag.

It seems like most bikes are sprung for about a 170lb rider. I would think that if you don't mind it a little stiff you could just back off the spring preload on the rear a little. Plus you can decrease the oil level a little on the front and back off most of the way on the compression damping adjusters front and rear.

I had the opposite problem on mine (I weight almost 2 of you LOL) so I got some new Eibach springs, they were a lot easier to install then I was expecting. I had the front done in about 20 minutes and I was not even working fast. The rear took about an hour because the rear subframe has to come off, but if I did it again I could do it in 30 minutes without breaking a sweat.

A .42 and 4.8 are just a bit to stiff for your size. Recommend always riding with proper spring rates, saves on unneeded drama on the track...lol I know when I was running to stiff of springs I always had problems leaving jump faces and getting kicked all over the place. Didn't think it would make much of a difference, untill I made the change and then I was shocked at how much better life was!