Sign in to follow this  

TTR 250 vs. WR 250f

Howdy Ladies!

Been riding for a year now. Need some advice. I think it's time to upgrade. Husband says TTR 250 is all the bike I need. I currently ride "more difficult trails". Hope to be riding "most difficult trails" by the end of the year. The TTR's are tractors! But the WR has more raw power. I have a TTR 225 now that let's me go as slow as I want to when needed.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

you need a WR! they are legit true trail machines. the TTR250 is comparable to an XR250. sure it could survive a nuclear attack (they are BULLETPROOF) but if you are riding more advanced trails the WR is your best friend.

Hey Louisa!!!!!!!!!!(that's you , RIGHT??) 🙂:D:worthy: I LOVE my WR, I'm so glad I got it. It was a little intimidating at first, but I'm SO GLAD I got something to grow into!!! When I was getting the WR I was thinking about just making a little upgrade to a XR200 or similar, like the 230(baby steps), but I knew I love to ride and wanted to improve as much as I can(not just putt) so I got the WR, and I'm so happy with it! It's all I'll ever need:D.

I went from a beat up XR200 to the WR, the difference was night and day. The first time I went trail riding on the WR I was flying up stuff--it really climbs wonderful and is great over the rough stuff. I guess you need to decide how much and into riding you want to get--if you want to get as good as you can in riding, get the WR, if you are content to tag along in back, stay with the TTR(haha, that's my opinion :ride:). And I think you WANNA RIDE so if you can swing a WR go for it! You do so awesome on that TTR, you'll love the upgrade to the WR.

I think some guys are just more comfortable keeping their women on a babysitter bike--but hey, I figure life is too short, if you wanna go for it, do it!(don't tell your hubby I said that :banghead:)

We did mods to my bike that lets me go slow too, I can tractor, but the bike makes it easy to go faster too--it's almost like the bike rides itself! My balance and handling is so way much better than on the XR200.

Hmmm, still thinking about this--maybe as you improve and get faster if you find yourself bottoming out the suspension on the ttr, then make the upgrade to the WR. If you aren't then maybe you would be happier/content with the ttr250.

The way I understand the differences between the ttr and the wr(someone please correct me!) the wr has better, more tweakable suspension for a more aggressive rider, as well as the ability to snap up the power(and how fast that power comes on, and you get more power at faster speeds). Lots of people are happy with tractors tho. As you ride this year if you find yourself at the limits of the ttr's suspension, go wr, otherwise the ttr250 might be fine after all?

Sorry to ramble on!!! You really do awesome on that ttr! Woo!!

A TTR 250 will not be an upgrade. You will be very disappointed. 25 air cooled cc's isn't going to be noticeable. My vote is for the WR. It will be taller, but a much more capable machine. I would not waste money on a TTR 250. Given a choice between keeping the ttr225 and going to a ttr 250, I'd stay with the 225 and save the money for later. BTW, the WR will tractor all day long too....

WR. You're riding it, not hub, so why does he get a vote anyway? TTR250 is an oudated pig (sorry to anyone who rides one).

Why are you just looking at those two bikes? I agree with blndebmr and Firecracker on the TTR, and for what you will spend for the WR (unless you’ve got an inside track great deal being offered to you), there are other bikes worthy of consideration too. What about KTM or Honda?

Well I wasn't going to muddy the waters but since NUN did first 🙂

There are LOTS of other great bikes. Now is the time you should be test riding anything and everything you can convince someone to let you borrow! Even if you don't plan to buy something, take a spin on it because you a.) could be surprised and fall in love or b.) it will at least give you a frame of reference when choosing your next bike: I really liked the way the CRF 450 did this, but I did not like the way it did that.

There's pros and cons for everything on the market. Most of us will try to tell you that whatever we currently ride is the bestest bike out there (KTM200!!!) but you need to find out what fits you, and the only REAL way to tell that is to ride one (or something close to it).

I would suggest looking at the KDX, however. It is a little more mild mannered than most two strokes and built for trail riding.

hey! back again, this thread might help--https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255055

somebody commented about the ttr tractoring up hills better than a wr--that seems weird to me, yeah the ttr125 and xr200 I rode(an old beat up one) would crawl slow and lug up a hill BUT put anything on that hill(roots rocks) to get up over and the wr just skips up that stuff like a mountain goat. The wr is "happier" going faster though(It will lug but the bike just seems "unhappy" doing that--sounds dumb but thats the best I can explain it) and actually it's easier to ride it faster over stuff you would lug the ttr over. I also found with the balance of the bike it is a lot easier to swing it up in the berms--remember that part on Chute trail at the tree where you took the left full of gravel, instead of the right line where there was a great berm to swing up in around the tree?

If I remember right your hubby has a wr450? FLying Ant's KTM 250 something something is comparable to the wr I thought it was a real nice bike too. Don't let the seat height scare you off either, there's lots of stuff to fix that.

Hey guys, thorchic sat on my bike and she really liked it 🙂 next time we get together she can ride it! I can tell thorchic is just full of raw talent!

Aha! A bike to test ride! Good for you PP! She'll for sure get a real-life experience on a good bike that way.

I have a TTR250. It is heavy and wide. I keep thinking that I'd like to move up to a WR or something similar, then think about what I use the TTR for and I shoot myself down. lol See, I have dual sported my TTR. We will ride events where I will spend 100+ mile days in the saddle. Man you can't beat the TTR seat for all day cushy. A lot of those miles are dirt roads, two tracks, etc. where I will just be sitting down most of the time. The single track and tight stuff is few and far between, and I can wrestle the beast through there just fine.

For trails only, I have a highly modded TTR 125. Yeah, it's small... a little cramped, and there are times I'd like to have more power and bigger wheels. BUT, I don't ride often. I get out on trails maybe once or twice a year. I have been off the farm three times w/it this year and that is a new record for me! I can ride this little bike fast, and am gaining tons of confidence on it.

So, yeah, I could sell both bikes and get something better... an all-around bike that I could ride for both. But the bikes I have are just fine for what I do. I think my butt would shoot me if I got rid of my big fat TTR 250 and that cushy seat. 🙂

Now if you were dual-sport riding, spending a lot of time sitting, I'd say go for the TTR. It's great for that... it's practically made for it (and in fact, technically it only lost it's road equipment when it came to the US... it IS a dual sport bike in the other countries it's marketed to). If you are riding strictly off road, you'll appreciate the suspension, weight distribution, power delivery, and the ability to slide right up on the tank that the WR (and similar bikes) offer.

Just my .02!

(oh and FC, no offense taken... like I stated, the TTR has its purpose)

I LOVE MY WR! It really rides itself. You just need to point it where to go. You can go as slow or as fast as you want up hills, I've been able to put in 1st gear up some of the gnarliest (is that a word?), rockiest, most rutted out hills that are super steep. And it's bulletproof. I've had some off days where I crash around every turn, and into every bush, and she keeps on tickin'! Just ask my husband as he come around the corner and says "Not again!" 🙂

I was looking at the CRF250X when I got the WR, but it was more expensive, and the KTM is even more than the CRF. The only thing that I don't like about mine, it's a red sticker. Go figure, there is only one year that's red sticker, an '05, and that's the one I got. I got it brand new as an anniversary present, and have never had a problem with it. And as I said before, I crash alot at times.

Oh, and an extra bonus, you get a headlight and a tail light! It's great for when your in the trees and it's getting dark, and when you crash and there's a big cloud of dust surrounding you.

My only concerns with the WR are the ones I experienced. If you're tall and getting a newer model you'll be fine and really enjoy the bike. There is something about better suspension that really makes riding SO much NICER!

I found my husbands WR250F to be very top heavy and a pain in the butt with weight distribution. But if you got the legs and a newer bike (his is an '02 or '03 I think) you won't have those issues!

The nice thing about a WR is you can ride it "plugged up" until you get acclimated to the machine. As you grow into it, uncork it. I rode an '02 for four years and then got my 450. Great bike, reliable as hell!

Yamamama makes a really good point about that big ttr tank sitting in your lap and getting better handling and position on the wr (yayYM!)

(heehee, have we convinced you yet?) can you pm me abut when you guys might be going to Brown's Camp next, or to Upper Nestucca? The way work and family stuff is going, I dont know if we'll be able to get out until Memorial Day and into September/October(whic is nice riding!)

Yamamama makes a really good point about that big ttr tank sitting in your lap and getting better handling and position on the wr (yayYM!)

Hey, I may not actually ride a good bike, but I understand the concept! :D Really, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably do it all differently, but I can make what I got work just fine, so I am NOT complaining! (who else do you know who has 4 bikes and has a reason to keep each of them?? 🙂 )

You have all been super helpful! I'll just have to wait until the beginning of next year to invest in my next bike. Get good on the bike I have. I can get some more power out of that puppy with a new exhaust.

PlushPuppy.....I don't think you know how chicken I felt on that ride we all went on. The best part was making it through in one piece! What a rush! Can't wait to do it again.

I'll let ya know when we go out next. We really want to try McCubbin's Gulch or East Fork Rock System.........Chesley's Challenge........a 53 mile loop.

It's a bit dusty this time of year for those two areas. September through October will be awesome. Now that I have weekends off, I like to try to get out at least every other weekend. It will be a good time to scout out some easy stuff for my girls while were there.

thorgirl, I'm glad we could help...it's fun to throw a question out here and see what develops, even the arguments, I mean discussions :D

You sure didn't seem chicken!!! You just kept on truckin and that's what counts! 🙂 And lots of smiling! And even swearing (with a smile) is good too, that means you're having fun :worthy:

Have a great time this weekend!!