Sign in to follow this  

New Bike!

I just picked up a 2005 cr250. Actually I traded a 2001 trx400ex quad that I never use straight across for the bike. It shows signs of use with scratched plastic and small cosmetic flaws, but it looks great overall. I drained the gas tank and carb completely because the bike had been sitting for a while, washed it and cleaned out the air box and filter.

The bike has a couple mods...ASV's, FMF SST and Turbine Core 2 Pipes, Pro Tapers, Twin Air filter, Seal Savers and Michelin Starcross tires.

Is there anything in specific that I need to do to the bike before riding it? What kind of general maintenance needs to be performed? Any must have mods?

DSC01283.jpg

DSC01285.jpg

DSC01287.jpg

DSC01286.jpg

YES! V-force reeds are a MUST!

with a fresh top-end, and a properly adjusted RC valve, your bike will not be down on power in the least.

great looking bike. grease your linkage,swingarm & steering bearings. I would also service your forks and shock with fresh oil. Flush your brake lines with new fluid. Also set the sag for your weight.

Does anyone know what the rider weight range is for the stock springs?

go to race techs website, they have a spring rate calculator. Not perfect but it will get you in the ballpark.

It looks like the PCRaing seal is just a neoprene lip that goes around the sealing surface for the filter. The MX Bonz is a two piece aluminum sealing lip for the inside and outside of the airbox. Has anyone had experience with either of these?

It looks like the PCRaing seal is just a neoprene lip that goes around the sealing surface for the filter. The MX Bonz is a two piece aluminum sealing lip for the inside and outside of the airbox. Has anyone had experience with either of these?

PC racing makes another kit for the 2002-2007 CR125/250 call the pro kit I believe. It also comes with a red metal ring to reinforce the ridigity of the boot/airbox connection. See here http://www.pcracingusa.com/proseal_cr.php

Personally I went for the MX Bonz kit which is a little harder to install but is much beefier. Also the MX Bonz kit also makes a nice smooth surface for the air filter to sit on. I also used the standard PC racing Neoprene seal with the MX Bonz kit for the ease and cleanlyness of not greasing the filter lip

YES! V-force reeds are a MUST!

with a fresh top-end, and a properly adjusted RC valve, your bike will not be down on power in the least.

Where do the reeds help power wise?

Haven't changed my reed yet. So I cant help you much there.

I would, however, change the chain.

Put an O-ring or something on there. The stock chain is crap and stretches A LOT. If you ride with any sort of intensity whatsoever, you will be tightening every ride and be stretched to the max very soon.

Check the spokes tension. That will cause way bigger problems down the road if they are not tight. You will also notice a difference in handling if they are loose, feels sort of like a low tire. Most people neglect this.

Check the chain guides. The plastic guides on the swing arm wear. Reallt fast too if the chain is too tight. These are cheap and if bad can destroy your swing arm.

Pop the head and look at the piston. While you are in there, put a new ring on there if the piston good or fairly new. A ring is cheap and will ensure you have a good compression. Atleast assuming there is no leaks.

These are all things that you do in matter of two hours or so. Or be real thorough and take all the parts I mention, off and inspect them thouroughly. Helps you get acquainted with the bike too.

Is the stock chain a gold DID? The chain does look somewhat worn, but I wouldn't think that the stocker would be gold...

I actually ordered a Fasst Co spoke torque wrench just the other day so that should be covered.

Are OEM plastic guides the way to go, or aftermarket?

I don't think the stocker is gold. It is a D.I.D. though. The stock chain is only like a $25 chain. No rings at all either, so check that. If you see anything between the links (they will be rubber between there) then it is definitely not a stocker. As far as the chain guides I would just get the stocker front swing arm piece and maybe look into aftermarket for the rear one. Although the stock ones are pretty good.

I should have looked more closely earlier...the chain is a DID 520vm, which I think is the X-ring. It looks a little worn out, probably because the gold has rubbed off quite a bit. Is this any indication that it needs to be replaced, or just normal color fade?

Color fade is normal, if you can pull the chain more then a few mm's off the rear sprocket then its shot. pull back the most rear part of the chain, not the top.

I don't see the need to update the reeds untill they need to be replaced. Spend that money on new gearing for your type of riding and a chain if need be.

This was a great trade.

I went for a ride today and found the stock gearing to be quite good...might add a tooth or two in the future due to my weight (200) and replace the chain as well, but it can wait.

I was shocked when I was offered this trade. I just happened to get lucky. The guy had been trying to sell the bike for a while with no luck and he was going to buy his wife a quad, so he gave me a call. Straight across trade and we both came out pleased. 🙂 It makes an outstanding addition to my 450

everywhere mostly in mid range and a little top end power

i would also take the hole bikeapart clean olmost everything very good get all dirt grime or rust etc.. off of the bike then i would lube the clutch brake and throttle cabels with chain lube/cable lube

then i would tighten all of the bolts i can on the bike.... put new oil in it:cool: ...if not already done!cr250ac.jpg

i would tighten the spokes nuts bolts screw at least all that you can... you know!

and then give it a nice long bath in really expencibe car wash soup :worthy:

and you will have a new bike 🙂

this might take a few days or more but you will be glad you did it. you dont want to be riding and somthing go wrong with a nice new bike

and also i would clean the carb and air filter

:D