Sign in to follow this  

Bro Broke Chain

Ya wierd was riding and chain snapped so got a few questions

1 have u ever broke a chain

2 how common and how to avoid on a long ride

3 what is a good chain for replacment

4 O ring vs regular

I've heard good things about various x ring chains. They are supposed to work like o ring chains without the extra bulk.

If you leave your chains on too long they will break. A simple test is to grab the chain at the back of the rear sprocket, if you can see 1/2 or more of the tooth your chain needs replacing. Don't let it get to 3/4 or a full tooth.

You will want new sprockets and a chain. If you just do the chain, the worn sprockets will just wear out the new chain faster.

I have had great luck with the Regina ORN6 O ring chains. I have 73 hrs on mine with OEM sprockets. The chain is still great. I think I'll get well over 100 hrs on it.

RK, DID, and Regina are all great choices. I am partial to RK's X-ring chain and DID's ERT2.

Ya wierd was riding and chain snapped so got a few questions

1 have u ever broke a chain

2 how common and how to avoid on a long ride

3 what is a good chain for replacment

4 O ring vs regular

Did it break, of did the master link fail? Master links will al fail over time from the ends of the pins rubbing on the chain guide blocks. So, the ends wear down enough and can no longer retain the keeper. You need to just replace the master link when it gets worn down. If it broke at any other place other then the master link, you need a new chain. Each pin is wearing out, has a groove or wear mark on them (you cant see it by looking at it) and these wear marks create a "stress riser" or a place where a break will occur. Once a chain snaps, it will continue to snap and its time to replace it. I recommend and ring type chain if you do trails, non ring chain if you do track.

If you leave your chains on too long they will break. A simple test is to grab the chain at the back of the rear sprocket, if you can see 1/2 or more of the tooth your chain needs replacing. Don't let it get to 3/4 or a full tooth.

You will want new sprockets and a chain. If you just do the chain, the worn sprockets will just wear out the new chain faster.

Sounds exactly like the manual says it.... Get an O or X ring if offroad riding or get a works chain if racing.

RK, DID, and Regina are all great choices. I am partial to RK's X-ring chain and DID's ERT2.

i like DID chains to, but the regina chains are awsome, super strong and light weight.

i have never broke a chain.

good replacement- DID or Renthal.

O ring chains are better than normal. it wont stretch as much as normal chain. X ring chains are lighter weight. some people say there is a difference in torque between X and O ring chains.

ya it straight up broke on a link thanks for the quick responses

i like DID chains to, but the regina chains are awsome, super strong and light weight.

I only run the D.I.D ERT2 Gold Chain. Very good, plus you can get them for only $75 on MotoSport.

+1 on the RK x-ring chain. I bought one when I got my Ironman sprockets. They have been on my CRF450R (set up as a woods bike, thus the x-ring chain) for well over a year, I had to adjust the chain only once after the initial break-in and the chain as well as the sprockets show zero signs of wear. The Ironman's are truly amazing! 🙂:D