Sign in to follow this  

TE SM quick conversion?

I was thinking of getting a dual sport bike that could handle WV-style street rides, commuting, supermoto on the karting track, and newbie off-roading/adventure. I've been looking at Husky 610s.

The TE610 seemed like the ideal candidate, but they are tough to find in good shape used. I am also wondering how well the suspension and brakes are going to work for fast street rides and supermoto trackdays if I just buy parts for a quick-swap SM conversion (SM wheels + rear sprocket, TE rotors)

The SM610 is more readily available, but there doesn't seem to be much off-road conversion information around. Would this work noticeably better on the street/track than a converted TE? How would it do with the the firmer brakes, 17" wheels and dirt-biased tires off-road?

Can someone who knows what they're talking about steer me in the right direction?

you can use a te brake with a te (drilled rotor) on a sm set of wheels.

a sm cost more (new) and you cant use a sm rotor on a te wheelset.

so its cheaper, imo to go sm from te, then te from sm. plus i dont think i would run a 21" wheel under a sm fender offroad.... i hear it may hit.

It really depends how much "offroading" that you plan to do and what type of terrain. If you plan to ride 80% street with offroading consisting of dirt roads, gravel, mild two-track trails, then the SM610 is perfect... that is what I do with mine. My only recommendation would be to install Avon Distanzia tires (17" sizes for front & rear) for more confidence on gravel/dirt.

If you plan to do more trail riding in the future, you could lace up a 19" front wheel. This way you could run a 19" front/17" rear or 19" front/18" rear combo. I agree that 21" would be too big for a SM fork without bottoming issues. However, a 19" front should be OK and aid more stability in the sand/dirt.

IMHO, I have been running 17" Avon Distanzias and I have not needed to upgrade to larger wheels. Just remember that supermoto racing is on dirt too and those guys are running basically slicks. Distanzias are knobbies compared to those. 🙂