Sign in to follow this  

Is the 450x right for me?

Ya i know search the forums but i can seem to find the right answer after a couple days of research. I just came off from a XR400 which i lost in a car crash and i want something similar to it. I was thinking that the crf 250x would never have the same torque and wouldnt be very reliable due to the small bore and high RPM.

So i thought, since im already used to a 260 pound bike like the xr400 and the torque of it, i should look into a crf 450x. But i am afraid of the extensive maintenance claimed by others required such as, oil change after every ride, valves, rebuild top end and stuff like that. Which between the crf 250x and crf 450x would i feel more at home compared to the xr400, and which would be less maintenance. BTW im 5 8 and 155 pounds w/o gear, i could touch the ground flat footed with the xr400. Then theres the other factor, which is that there are barely any 450x being sold in my area, so would converting a 450r be an option?

Ya i know search the forums but i can seem to find the right answer after a couple days of research. I just came off from a XR400 which i lost in a car crash and i want something similar to it. I was thinking that the crf 250x would never have the same torque and wouldnt be very reliable due to the small bore and high RPM.

So i thought, since im already used to a 260 pound bike like the xr400 and the torque of it, i should look into a crf 450x. But i am afraid of the extensive maintenance claimed by others required such as, oil change after every ride, valves, rebuild top end and stuff like that. Which between the crf 250x and crf 450x would i feel more at home compared to the xr400, and which would be less maintenance. BTW im 5 8 and 155 pounds w/o gear, i could touch the ground flat footed with the xr400. Then theres the other factor, which is that there are barely any 450x being sold in my area, so would converting a 450r be an option?

1. you're right. the 250x is not as reliable as the 450x and the 250 is weak.

2. what extensive maintenance? i have 130 hours on my X and have never even touched the valves. it's the 250cc people that are always having fun with the valves. i don't mind cleaning my air filter and changing oil often for high performance.

3. what type of riding do you do anyways? i can't suggest a bike without knowing what terrain you like or what your riding style is like.

4. at 5'8'' you'll be too short for the 450x unless you do some seat shaving, suspension modifications or can balance a bike with one foot. i weigh 158 lbs an i'm 6' and i feel the bike is built for our weight range.

5. if you want a badass bike that owns everything out there, and dont mind changing filters and oil often, get the 450x. if you want mediocre performance and changing oil and filters annually, then buy another XR IMHO. the CRF-X and R's are far from SIMILAR to the XR series.

1. you're right. the 250x is not as reliable as the 450x and the 250 is weak.

2. what extensive maintenance? i have 130 hours on my X and have never even touched the valves. it's the 250cc people that are always having fun with the valves. i don't mind cleaning my air filter and changing oil often for high performance.

3. what type of riding do you do anyways? i can't suggest a bike without knowing what terrain you like or what your riding style is like.

4. at 5'8'' you'll be too short for the 450x unless you do some seat shaving, suspension modifications or can balance a bike with one foot. i weigh 158 lbs an i'm 6' and i feel the bike is built for our weight range.

5. if you want a badass bike that owns everything out there, and dont mind changing filters and oil often, get the 450x. if you want mediocre performance and changing oil and filters annually, then buy another XR IMHO. the CRF-X and R's are far from SIMILAR to the XR series.

Are you sure about the height? if im flat footed on a the xr400 which is 36.6 inches and the 450x is 37.9, thats a 1.3 inch difference (omg i needed a calculator for that i need to go back to school 🙂 ) as for air filter and oil, what is the intervals for replace/change for them?

As for the riding terrain it is ATV trails mainly with some steeps climbs and nothing extremely technical. Mainly open .

Are you sure about the height? if im flat footed on a the xr400 which is 36.6 inches and the 450x is 37.9, thats a 1.3 inch difference (omg i needed a calculator for that i need to go back to school :D ) as for air filter and oil, what is the intervals for replace/change for them?

As for the riding terrain it is ATV trails mainly with some steeps climbs and nothing extremely technical. Mainly open .

well, i let some of my buds ride my bike that are around 5' 5'' and they can ride just fine because they can lean on one foot.

even I at 6', sitting evenly, cannot touch the floor with either foot unless i lean somewhat. perhaps your rear spring has 'softened up' with time.

other replies will of course vary greatly, but i change engine and tranny oil every 7 hours. i clean the air filter and replace the oil filter every 300 miles.

even after 130 hours of use, my bike is incredibly easy to start. it starts as if

it's warm; on the first second of the starter engaging. i couldn't be happier with this bike and my maintenance regime has been rewarding 🙂

well, i let some of my buds ride my bike that are around 5' 5'' and they can ride just fine because they can lean on one foot.

even I at 6', sitting evenly, cannot touch the floor with either foot unless i lean somewhat. perhaps your rear spring has 'softened up' with time.

other replies will of course vary greatly, but i change engine and tranny oil every 7 hours. i clean the air filter and replace the oil filter every 300 miles.

even after 130 hours of use, my bike is incredibly easy to start. it starts as if

it's warm; on the first second of the starter engaging. i couldn't be happier with this bike and my maintenance regime has been rewarding 🙂

alright this info is really helpful thanks so much i think i made a decision, but i dont wanna sound like a smart ass by saying your wrong but i think its because my legs are long for my height because my xr400 has a total of 400 km of use on it and when i sat down it had a sag of 3.5 inches. however if the case is if its too tall i can shave foam or just not touch the ground :D . Now that the 450 is a good choice my next decision is that there are Tons of CRF 450r's around my area but not one crf 450x's, would it be possible to setup a crf 450r to be like a 450x or should i just wait for a 450x to appear on the market?

Thanks so much for your fast replies

here's a giant list of differences between the X and R. read through it and you'll know which suits you best.

CRF450X OVERVIEW AND CRF450R COMPARISON

"-California model meets California Air Resources Board (CARB) emission standards.

-Gas tank capacity is 2.27 gallons. / 1.9 Gallons for 2008

-Resettable, easy-to-read three-digit odometer.

-USDA-qualified muffler/spark arrester.

-Powerful new 35-watt halogen headlight features new lens type for wide range of illumination.

-Integrated LED taillight in rear fender.

-Convenient sidestand integrated into left footpeg bracket can be easily removed for competition events.

-Wide-ratio five-speed transmission.

-Suspension and chassis tuned for competitive off-road riding needs.

-18-inch rear wheel for greater flat-tire protection.

-T-ring sealed chain is narrower, stronger and lighter compared to conventional O-ring chains.

-Skidplate and engine guards feature a unique three-piece design.

Electric starter drives the clutch side of the crankshaft to provide superior lubrication of starter gears, and produce a narrow engine with a short, strong crankshaft.

Lightweight, compact, internal auto decompressor system provides superb cold-starting and hot-starting operation.

Compact, lightweight engine assembly weighs only 71 pounds.

Unicam valve train provides the light weight of a compact single-cam design and the optimum combustion chamber shape for maximum power at all engine rpm.

Unicam valve train features a carburized single camshaft that directly actuates two 35mm titanium intake valves. The camshaft exhaust lobe actuates two 30mm steel exhaust valves via a forked, low-friction, roller rocker-arm.

Lightweight titanium intake valves permit use of smaller valve springs, reducing overall engine height.

Crankshaft is made of high-strength, low-carbon steel with carburized main journals for maximum durability at sustained high-rpm operation.

Clutch cover and cylinder head cover are made of magnesium to reduce engine weight.

Forged 12.0:1 compression slipper piston is lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.

Double-carburized connecting rod utilizes an updated big-end needle bearing and thrust washers for maximum high-rpm performance and durability.

Nikasil ® cylinder lining is lightweight and provides cooler and quieter operation for extended engine life.

Press-fitted aluminum spark plug pipe fits between forked exhaust rocker arms, further contributing to compact cylinder head design.

40mm Keihin FCR-type carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in very light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.

Carburetor features a throttle position sensor (TPS) that helps maintain linear throttle response throughout the rpm range.

Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil, reduces the amount of circulating oil and permits the use of a smaller oil pump.

Vertically split crankcases feature a built-in oil pump, reducing weight compared to a conventional design.

Exhaust system uses a lightweight stainless steel exhaust header and muffler equipped with spark arrester.

Dual radiators feature a refined core area for improved heat dissipation compared to conventional dual-radiator design. Coolant recovery tank is located in front of the engine between the frame down-tubes for improved center of gravity. Coolant tank is protected by plastic skid plate.

Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump. Eight clutch plates provide the surface area necessary to handle the engine's massive torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.

T-ring-sealed chain is approximately 1.6mm narrower, and stronger compared to conventional chains.

Durable and versatile five-speed wide-ratio transmission.

Chassis/Suspension

All-new fourth-generation twin-spar aluminum frame. Forged aluminum steering head and tapered downtube section are designed to optimize frame rigidity. In addition, tall swingarm pivot plates and narrow frame spars create a narrow overall frame cross-section for superb rider comfort and maneuverability.

Semi-double-cradle frame design features a single, large-diameter tapered downtube. Two rugged box-section rails attach to the base of the downtube and support the engine. A forged aluminum steering head provides a compact and extremely durable mount for the frame spars and engine downtube.

The aluminum frame design is matched to rider ergonomics to maximize handling and control operation.

Swingarm features a dual-axis, double-taper design with a large cast aluminum cross-member offering high strength and light weight.

18-inch rear wheel features same lightweight rear hub and HRC® works-type lightweight aluminum spoke nipples as used on CRF ®450R.

Front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span for excellent rigidity.

Rear axle diameter of 25mm and large-diameter bearings provide optimum rigidity to withstand torturous off-road conditions.

Lightweight, 47mm inverted Showa ® twin-chamber cartridge fork with aluminum dampers is derived from the CRF450R and features settings unique to the CRF450X. The fork offers 12.4 inches of travel, 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability. The inner surface of the front fork outer-tubes receives the same honing treatment as works bikes for low-friction operation.

Pro-Link ® single-shock rear suspension system features a fully adjustable Showa rear damper and 12.4 inches of wheel travel, separate low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns) compression damping adjusters, and 17-position rebound damping.

Rear shock damper piston diameter is 50mm for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.

Compact twin-piston front brake caliper, anodized aluminum brake pistons and lightweight front brake disc minimize unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.

HRC works-type rear brake system integrates the rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the need for a remote master cylinder reservoir and hose assembly.

240mm front and rear brake discs.

Additional Features

All plastic body components (radiator shroud, side covers, rear fender, seat base, fuel tank, front fender, and front headlight) are designed for slimmer, more aggressive styling and light weight.

Airbox features easy access to reusable foam air filter.

Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the rider's legs at the narrowest cross-section of the frame for improved comfort and handling feel.

Seat cushion uses foam construction that follows the shape of the fuel tank, providing a smooth transition to increase rider mobility and comfort.

"Non-slip" seat cover for increased rider control.

Rear brake pedal and shift lever are made of lightweight aluminum and are designed to complement the riding position. Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master cylinder design.

Wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs are self-cleaning, resist corrosion, provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.

Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.

CR handlebar holders provide three different mounting positions: standard CRF450X holder (CRF450R/CR125R/CRF250R-type) provides +/- 3mm fore or aft position to match rider preference, and optional holder (CR250R-type) provides neutral position.

Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.

Adjustable front brake lever.

Hot-start lever conveniently located on clutch perch.

Quick-adjust clutch perch.

Chain guide material offers durable wear resistance, and service life is five times greater than conventional materials.

Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.

Removable rear subframe allows easy maintenance.

Washable, two-stage foam air filter for optimal engine protection and easy maintenance.

Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.

Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.

Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.

Additional changes from the CRF450R

-Larger main bearings

-Increased oil capacity

-Smaller and lighter weight starter motor from 250X (6 ounces.)

-New cylinder

-New head

-Heavier flywheel

-Different fork offset

-Wider engine (16mm)

-Smaller valves

-Narrow clutch (to compensate for the wider engine cases)

-This main spar is the only part of the frame that is the same as the R. Every other piece is new.

-Shock with different valving and linkage ratios. All custom fit for off-road use.

-Quick access door from 250X. Uses exact same filter.

-Electric start system for easy starting in all conditions.

-The engine looks like the R, but it's not! The only shared parts are the piston and rings! "

these threads will help too:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=676409

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560828&highlight=differences+between+x+r

Im not even gona quote that last post, thanks for the info it is clear it is almost impossible to make a crf 450r into a x so i guess im just gona have to wait it out or go to the states to buy a 450x?

Thanks for your help 🙂

Im not even gona quote that last post, thanks for the info it is clear it is almost impossible to make a crf 450r into a x so i guess im just gona have to wait it out or go to the states to buy a 450x?

Thanks for your help 🙂

haha. glad you see that. it is actually easier to make the X more like the R than the other way around.

glad i could help :D

• Like 1

alright this info is really helpful thanks so much i think i made a decision, but i dont wanna sound like a smart ass by saying your wrong but i think its because my legs are long for my height because my xr400 has a total of 400 km of use on it and when i sat down it had a sag of 3.5 inches. however if the case is if its too tall i can shave foam or just not touch the ground 🙂 . Now that the 450 is a good choice my next decision is that there are Tons of CRF 450r's around my area but not one crf 450x's, would it be possible to setup a crf 450r to be like a 450x or should i just wait for a 450x to appear on the market?

Thanks so much for your fast replies

No, the two are really different bikes and since you are coming off a XR400 you will really want to get the X; I have owned both and I am amazed at how different they are. I am also 5'9" and I semi tip toe on the bike...I think a 250x is basically the same seat height and the R is no better.

Some off-road magazine editors have tried to turn a R into an off-road bike. After lots of money & work it was still too hard to ride.

uncletom, like others said. The 450X has a lot less issues then the 250X. If you're coming off of the XR400 you will not be happy with the 250X when it comes to power.

I was searching the forums for the exact same questions. I am currently on a 250X...90 percent of the time power is not an issue. The only time I am craving more power really is on soft sand hill climbs or just really long hill climbs. The valve issue is a concern. I would love to ride single track and back woods trails but to be honest most of my time is in the desert. I like hitting jumps, step ups, fast woop sections. My jumps are not huge but I wish they were. 50 foot doubles is pretty much my average. To be honest The 250R or 450R would work great for me but the green sticker is important to me. I do like the electric start also. My current bike has the headlight removed, and a number plate installed. I have an R exhaust with a spark arrester. The reliability issue is the main reason why i am asking if the 450X would be a good upgrade.

My other option would be rebuild my 250X with a high comp piston and differnt cam.

I was searching the forums for the exact same questions. I am currently on a 250X...90 percent of the time power is not an issue. The only time I am craving more power really is on soft sand hill climbs or just really long hill climbs. The valve issue is a concern. I would love to ride single track and back woods trails but to be honest most of my time is in the desert. I like hitting jumps, step ups, fast woop sections. My jumps are not huge but I wish they were. 50 foot doubles is pretty much my average. To be honest The 250R or 450R would work great for me but the green sticker is important to me. I do like the electric start also. My current bike has the headlight removed, and a number plate installed. I have an R exhaust with a spark arrester. The reliability issue is the main reason why i am asking if the 450X would be a good upgrade.

Have you had the chance to ride a 450X?

If someone is planning on greating a lot of ai I would stick with the R. I think you will be shocked how much more you would use the power on the 450X. I can't tell you how many times I went down on are 250X. Most of the time because I didn't have the power to pull me out of some of the issues I got myself into. In Baja I was on a fire road with the guys messing around. Next thing you know I lost it. I hit the throttle and it pulled the bike back up. If I was on the 250X then I would have gone down hard doing about 50 mph. I do have to say I did like the 250X on some hill climbs. It had just enough power to get you up the hill. Now I get myself in trouble at time with th power on the hills. The front end wants to come up.

I have never ridden a 450x nor do I know anyone who has one. I am happy with my 250x just want a little more power and a little more reliability...maybe I would be happy keeping my 250x and just picking up an older cr250r for my more motocross oriented riding. most places I ride the slightly modded 250x is fine. The long hill climbs at Jawbone and in the desert I would really like to climb the hill in 4th gear to keep my forward speed an momentum up...The 250x does its bests climbing in 3rd. I have tried going faster and hitting stuff in 4th and it just is not on the pipe the way I like it..I wind up slipping the clutch just to keep from crashing. The 3rd gear climb feels like bouncing off the rev limiter. Dont get me wrong. Hill climbs is not all I do but it is the one place the 250x shows its weekness. That and worrying about valves.

for the record my 250X has the air box cut, 250R exhaust, rejetted for changes and the stock cam for now...am considering going to a high comp piston and a 250R cam...That is why I am considering maybe just upgrading to a 450X and treating it to the similar level of mods...

The 450 R has kick start only, more aggressive cam, no head light, no tail light, close ratio transmission, is lighter, rear wheel is a 19 inch, and suspension is quite a bit stiffer. The X has electric and kick start, kickstand, headlight, tail light, softer offroad suspension, milder cam, wide ration transmission, I think the X has a larger gas tank with reserve. The X also has all the emission stuff to make it California legal green sticker. I am sure there are other differences also. Exhaust is tuned dirrently and the X has a quieter muffler with a spark arrester.

My other option would be rebuild my 250X with a high comp piston and differnt cam.

That would be going the wrong way reliability-wise. The 250X can only gain more power in a 'hit' or on the very top (higer rpm) which is what kills the valves. If you want more grunt, go bigger: 275/280cc kit.