SM high stability and tires

I know its been addressed before, but just got done installing a set of Pilot Powers front and rear, and the difference is night and day. The high speed stability is horrible now, where as with the stock front tire, it was not bad at all. I had a Power on the rear for quite some time and didn't have any problems, but the Power on the front definitely changed things

The front Power has a lot more aggressive V shape to it so I assume this is what causes it. Under 60mph it doesn't seem too bad, but 70 and over, it is quite scary what happens if you wiggle the bars just a tiny bit. It feels like it would quickly build to a full on tank-slap if you didn't physically stop it from happening

I guess that'll slow me down a bit.....

I would say it is definitely a balance issue. My 208 was like that on the front when I bought the bike new. 400 miles into owning the bike, I picked up a nail, and had the tube replaced and tire balanced. No more death wobble above 65 mph. Then I put pilot powers front and rear (went with th 2ct up front) and love them way better than the stock dunlops. Still no wobble. Check the balance!!!!

well, I balanced the tires today, and they weren't very far out. While I had them on the stand, I made sure they were true and they are. No wobble or hop, also made sure the front axle was positioned correctly, and it was

I didn't balance them yesterday, honestly. My balance stand is at work so I had to wait til today

Took a quick spin on the freeway and it feels pretty much the same as before.

I'll try dropping the front tire to 20psi and see if that helps any.

thanks for the suggestions.

I'm due for tires and I'm leaning toward Pilot Powers, but now i'm a bit apprehensive. The stock Dunlops are dead steady at speed, even though they aren't the worlds greatest in the turns, particularly on cool pavement. My bike has never, ever shook it's head even the slightest, and that includes top speed runs. Also, my bike came w/ no wheel weights. I wonder if they forgot, if they balanced, or if it's hit and miss whether they get them or not. I've seen other SM's w/ weights on the spokes. ?

Is it safe and "normal" to ride with the tire at 20psi? Any drawbacks or does it improve handling and traction all around? What is the back tire psi?

20psi is the lowest I would want to run the tires at. Makes the handling a little heavier and wears out the tires a little faster, but offers the best traction.

I have the rear at 30psi right now.

there's several threads around about tire pressures and what people run. Most run 25-30psi I'd guess

Whoa...OK. I will try the pressure thing tonight since I've noticed the PP deathwobble as well over 75 or so...although I just got myself used to it and assumed it was due to the more aggressive 'V' profile of the tire like UncleBob pointed out.

Other than that, they're freakin' awesome compared to the stock doughnuts!

update, I was a little too quick on my last update. I was commuting into work and only briefly saw 75ish mph and it felt good

Tonight I took it up to 90+mph and just about crapped my pants because it really did start wobbling all on its own (without my input) and I couldn't stop it. I tried shifting my weight forward and back, didn't matter. Only slowing down reduced teh issue. I really thought I was going down it was that bad

I'm hoping I'll come up with a better idea soon....but I'm getting pretty terrified by this front tire. I still have the old junk front tire. If I can't find a solution that is realistic, I'll throw it back on for now

just a quick update. I put the pressure back to 25psi, and day by day, it is getting a little better

Very odd. My theory is, the carcass of the tire is wearing in and becoming more pliable. Much like a dirt bike tire, the carcass is rigid at first and "breaks in" after multiple heat cycles. At least, I've notice this with dirt bike tires

Conforming to a happier shape, I guess. It still shimmies now and then, but not nearly as bad, and the speed/circumstances it happens at isn't as predictable as it was before. On the way home today I hit 105mph and it only very briefly offered a little waggle around 90mph but went away without any input. For some reason, it seems to be ever-so-slightly more prominent when I shift my weight forward. Where as before it didn't seem to matter where my weight was

I'm taking it cautiously and keeping a close eye on it.

Bob, I run about 21 in the front. I too, noticed a little lack of stability at high speed when first mounted, though no worse than the stockers. After about 500 miles, I noticed the stability has improved greatly. I have assume a few heat cycles and a removal of the release agent made the difference. I am rock solid at 100+, bone stock body work, sitting bolt upright.

dropping the psi on the front tire fixed it. Just as good as it used to be now
? thats awsome.i just put on a set of pilot road 2cts and was having kinda the same problem.between 120 and 130kmh i would sometimes develope a wobble and it was like a really slow head shaker.my tires are balance and true so ill try dropping the psi a little.what tire pressure are you running?

normal...its a dirbike geometry...every body has some ideas here..but dont sweat it....i come from the sportbike world...and you wont see a tank slapper with the drz unless you really try..plus i run pilots and habe the same issue...dont wobble your bars a tiny but please...

btw i once passed through a ton of potholes hard on the gas in the middle of a curve...it wobbled a lot...but nowhere near a slapper...if you wanna see a slapper ride a 2004 Kawasaki 636 through the same crap..you ll be flying with the birds.