Sign in to follow this  

125 to 250f, tips?

so i just got rid of my 125 and bought a 2007 rmz250

So what are some things that i should know about or tips for switching from a 125 smoker to a 250 thumper?

Also, random question, it seems like the rmz only has one hole to pour oil into. Is that for the motor and tranny? What oil should i use in there?

so i just got rid of my 125 and bought a 2007 rmz250

So what are some things that i should know about or tips for switching from a 125 smoker to a 250 thumper?

Also, random question, it seems like the rmz only has one hole to pour oil into. Is that for the motor and tranny? What oil should i use in there?

You are gunna have to adjust your riding style a little bit. You want to short shift and there is a lot of engine braking so when coming up to a jump you want to be on the gas the whole time or else you'll be on the ground. Just take time and you'll soon love the bike. I am not sure about the one hole. I would ask the dealer or someone on hear will be able to answer that.

Invest in a service manual. It'll tell you what oil, etc. and will also help you with the inevitable maintenance.

Probably 10W40, non-energy conserving. Not sure of the capacity, either since my son's RMZ is really a Kawa-zooki.

i have an 08 and they recommend a 10w-30 or a 10w-40 if you call or visit a local dealer they can see what the specs are and what oil you should be running. i personally run a 10w-30 that i change ever four rides or so. the service manual also says to use one qt of oil while the dealer said use 1.3 quarts so i error on the side of caution and use the 1.3.

Get a good 1/4" drive torque wrench and some Motion Pro tappet gauges so you can learn to check the valves yourself and save $$$ while not neglecting the valves.

i agree with brown. checking the valves takes 10 mins and many ppl pay shops to do it for them.