Sign in to follow this  

Ordering Clutch and Parts

Hey guys,

I need a new clutch for my 07WR250F. This is the first time the cluch has needed to be changed, aned i'm new to this so any tips will help heaps.

I need to know what to order and where from?

Should I change the metal plates with the fibre/paper ones? Do I need new springs, or a basket? The bike has 2500kms and about 50hrs on it.

I really like to get all the stuff I need from the TT shop. Whats the best stuff to order?

Is it hard to change a clutch?

Someone must know where I can order this stuff over the net. I don't wanna go to the dealer, they charge so much.

The TT store is a great place to buy parts with their 110% low price guarantee. If you want to just buy OEM parts, there are many online dealers for OEM Yamaha parts. If you want aftermarket I would suggest getting either Hinson or DP clutch components. You will definitely need to replace the friction disks, the steel disks may need replacing if they are warped (refer to the manual for warp specs and how to check for warped disks). If they are not warped you technically don't need to change them, but it isn't a bad idea to change them anyways. It is a good idea to replace the springs as well. The basket will only need to be replaced if it has notches where the disks fit into the fingers on it. The same goes for the inner hub. These should be fine, but if you are abusive to the clutch they will get notches and will need replacing. The pressure plate will only need to be replaced if it is warped, which is pretty rare in my experience.

Every clutch I've seen with exception to DP and moose clutches (which is made by DP), require you to soak the friction plates in oil for a few hours before installing them. It doesn't hurt to do this with the DP plates, it just isn't necessary.

It is easy to change a clutch. Lay the bike on it's side with the clutch cover facing up (make sure your gas is turned off). Remove the rear brake pedal to make things easier (not always necessary, but it helps a lot). Remove the clutch cover, then remove the bolts in the center of the pressure plate. Each bolt will have a spring under it. Now you can lift the pressure plate off and begin to lift the clutch plates out. Make sure to notice what order they are in, and notice if the friction plate on each end is different from the rest (many bikes are like this). Watch out for sharp edges. Next drop your new plates in the basket in the correct order, put the pressure plate back on with new springs under the bolts, put the clutch cover back on (a new gasket may be necessary), put the brake pedal back on, adjust your free play at the lever and you are good to go.

• Like 1

I'm having serious withdrawals from riding lately, cos my clutch aint fixed.

I have been told to take my clutch apart and check the metal plates, as I'd probably only have to replace one "warped" plate. But everything seems to be in spec, I checked the "flatness" on a piece of glass.

Any Ideas?

Should I just replace fibers, springs and plates?

If none of the metal plates are warped, then you should sand them to get the glaze off of them. Sand them until they are silver again on both sides. Make sure all of your friction discs are within spec, and double check that the basket and inner hub do not have any groves or burs on them. What is your clutch doing? Maybe someone can help you pinpoint the problem.

Read these articles from the tech/engine section. They should get you on the right path.

As far as brands, you can't go wrong with OEM fibers/plates. The aftermarket brands of fibers sometimes have their own recipe for the fiber material, which usually have pro's/con's compared to the OEM fibers. I know Wiseco's fibers are premium OEM style, so you can't go wrong there either. I also prefer Wiseco's clutch baskets because they are ultra high quality and the only brand in the aftermarket made from forgings (tough). The coating wears like iron as well. Good luck.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230982

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232390

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602630

• Like 1

On a fellow TT member's recommendation, I recently installed a Tusk clutch kit

in my '06 WR250 and it works great!

What is your clutch doing? Maybe someone can help you pinpoint the problem.
My clutch has been feeling notchie for a for weeks now, like I hadn't changed the oil in ages. It would creep a little (in gear) with the clutch in and changing gears was a little harder... so I could tell something was going.

Then, I did my test for my bike license and they make you go through a little course and such and such...really slow, continually working the clutch.

After this day, changing gears was fricken hard, I had to stomp to down shift and going up a gear was just as hard. The bike would creep with the clutch pulled in (in gear) so much I had to use the break while waiting at lights etc...

So I stopped riding my bike and hence my posts... Now my girlfriend calls me Mr poopie pants cos I'm pissed I can't ride...

I'm not spending $350 at the mechanics to get this fixed.

I can do it my self (I hope) Just need to learn.

thanks so much for your help KJ790, I'll give em a sanding with some 800 grit wet n dry tonight and see if this helps.

So I finally got around to sanding the plates back on the weekend, put the clutch back together, and she changes gears sweet, a little clunk when i put her in 1st from neutral but that was fixed with a little adjustment.

All up it cost me $2 for a sheet of 800 grit wet 'n' dry.

So thanks for the tip KJ790... spot on with sanding the plates.:worthy:👍:busted:

So I finally got around to sanding the plates back on the weekend, put the clutch back together, and she changes gears sweet, a little clunk when i put her in 1st from neutral but that was fixed with a little adjustment.

All up it cost me $2 for a sheet of 800 grit wet 'n' dry.

So thanks for the tip KJ790... spot on with sanding the plates.:worthy:👍:busted:

Sanding the notches down is a very short term fix. The only cure for a notched basket is to replace it.

Sanding the notches down is a very short term fix. The only cure for a notched basket is to replace it.

He didn't sand the basket, he sanded the steel clutch plates to get the glaze off of them.

He didn't sand the basket, he sanded the steel clutch plates to get the glaze off of them.

Gotcha - my bad. Yes - deglazing the plates would help!

LOL!!!

Perhaps I need to explain/elaborate a little more.... 👍

I used Honda CRF250 fiber plates in my WR and really like them.

I had to open up 1 plate on a lathe but you can just use 1 WR plate.