Sign in to follow this  

problems with my 03 yz125 (plastics, petcock)

well im in the process of fixing up the bike i just bought. i replaced the bent up stock bars with pro tapers. i took the blown rear shock out and had it rebuilt.

now i have 2 problems.

1. i need a front fender and front number plate. the front fender is bent and cracked, and i got no number plate with the bike lol i read another post and it seems i can use any newer number plate but i might have to make up a bracket for it...? but what about the front fender? im really not worried about if it looks the same as stock, i just want something straight and functional. what years can i use a front fender from?

2. when taking the carb off to clean it out, i found the fuel line had a tiny slit in it so i took it out. when trying to remove the fuel hose from the petcock, it pulled the ****in little copper fitting out of the petcock that the hose seats on. after i pulled the hose and fitting out of the petcock by accident, i tried to remove the fitting from the hose and bent it up with my pliers in the process. can i just get a new fitting and stick it back up in there or do i need a new petcock?> where would the best place be to get these things? 🙂

thanks!!!!

oh and also i guess ill ask while im at it. anyone run a carb spacer on the 125? is it worth it? im running full stock bike right now, just a uni filter. the powerband doesnt really seem to kick in until such a high rpm. i really dont have much money to burn right now on go fast parts as im currently unemployed lol so im trying to think what i can do for some cheap oomph for the track

oh and one more thing. i looked at the jets and im running a 40 and a 410. pretty sure these are stock. should i stick with these jets or go to something bigger?

The easiest set-up for the front is a front fender from an 06 to 08. Really, you can go back much further than this if you want. The 2001 to 2005 fender looks and fits just the same. Unless you have to have the current numberplate (and make a bracket) its much easier to use the 2001 ?-2005 plate. It bolts right on with no bracket needed and will match the fender from as far back as 2001.

You probably need a new petcock. That brass piece is not supposed to pull out. Its not going to be available without buying the entire assembly. he part is not that expensive and is available from the local dealer.

I wouldn't bother with a reed block spacer on the bike it would be better to replace the worn out reeds. Stock is carbon fiber style maybe some boyesen's or carbon tech's.

I can't remeber now the details but changing the power valve spring ? or adding spacer from a 2000 or 2004 those I think it was slightly stiffer. Makes fore a slightly better power curve in the mid range when it transitions from closed to open on the power valve.

thanks guys. i bet i could get a petcock from someone parting their bike out. anyone know what years i can get it from?

also when you say a 2001 - 2005 for example, is that just a yz125, or will the yz250 stuff from those yeears fit too?

The plastic was the same on the 125 and 250.

I really would not bother with a used petcock. They are not expensive . I paid under 20.00 locally and it was brand new. Good luck paying under that for shipping nowadays.

If you look for used, I know the petcock from 1997 and newer is the same thing. It may go farther back than that, but I dont know for sure.

ok well i found a guy parting his 2001 yz125. i think i may get the front fender, num plate and petcock all in one shot from him. depends on how much cash he wants really. all of this stuff is basically 20 dollars each brand new plus shipping so if hes too expensive i may just go all new stuff from denniskirk. i think they actually had a front fender for about $16 but the number plate and petcock are both 20. then i think 8 bucks shipping... so about $64 for this stuff if i were to go new. if the guy hooks me up ill buy from him.