Sign in to follow this  

How needed is a hydraulic rear brake?

It looks to me like a cable brake instead of hydraulic for the rear might be OK. The brake isn't that big, and you have a foot to press with, so some muscle.

Were there ever cable operated rear brakes?

When did they finally go away?

I think it might be a nice simplification on our bikes, maybe a little lighter, and it would have to be better looking than that rear MC and associated gradu we have now.

What's the word, for those with the knowledge on this?

TIA/dh

Go for it! Just don't go through any water holes. Some of the old drum brakes were cable operated. You can get a lot more clamping pressure with hydraulic.

hmm... maybe you can try those cable-operated disc brake off mountain bikes?

There are Avids and Shimanos... and they are not too expensive to experiment on..

good luck 🙂

Go for it! Just don't go through any water holes. Some of the old drum brakes were cable operated. You can get a lot more clamping pressure with hydraulic.

What's wrong with going through water?

In all your years you have never driven or rode through water? Kind of makes the braked not work so well. The old drum brakes were useless if you did a river crossing. Disc with hydraulic seems to do well though.

In all your years you have never driven or rode through water? Kind of makes the braked not work so well. The old drum brakes were useless if you did a river crossing. Disc with hydraulic seems to do well though.

I had no intention of going to drum brakes. Is it ridiculous to think about disc brakes with cable instead of hydraulic actuation? I really have no idea. I mean, the caliper would have to be modified, that I know...🙂

I had a OEM cable rear disc back in 1992 on my new Yamaha Blaster. It lasted about 3 weeks before it seized up and quit working. The quad is still in my family and the rear break still doesn't work. My $.02, don't downgrade your rear brake by trying to convert it to a cable brake.