Sign in to follow this  

06 R cam question.....3 degrees advanced

Thanks to the very stand up guy on here(CRFPOOR), I got a CRF 250R cam out of an 06 for peanuts.

CRFPOOR had been playing around with the timing of the cam and I have a question.

The cam is advanced 3 degrees. I know when i build a small block v8, that advancing the cam shifts the power band lower in the rpm range, fattening up the bottom.

"Typically, engines respond better with a few degrees advance. This is likely due to the importance of the intake closing point on performance. Earlier intake closing leads to increased cylinder pressure and better responsiveness. As a general rule of thumb, advancing the cam will help low-end torque, but if your engine is dying by the flag stand, retarding the cam a few degrees should help extend high-rpm power a bit.">>as stated by Comp Cams.

With this cam, I originally planned on putting in a high comp. piston.

well, I'm getting a little anxious to put this in. Without the piston upgrade.

What do you guys think and do you guys have any experience with this?

If I was going to put in a cam I knew had been changed at all(advanced in this case), I would want to go thru the degreeing procedure first to find out where it is exactly when installed on my bike.

Also I dont know how well it works to press the gear on and off the cam several times, dont want any type of damage or distortion to the gear or cam surface it sets on. Not saying it is damaged, but obviously if the cam gear ever moved or came loose it could be a major problem.

Too bad the 250's dont have an easily adjustable cam gear like the 450's.