Sign in to follow this  

Rear MC guard / ankle saver

I was scraping my ankle at times on the rear MC. And I thought it was an ugly appearance pile-up with the bracket and MC, cable to the lever, etc.

So I made a rear brake cover out of some thin sheet Kydex I had. I made a template out of posterboard first, and then cut the Kydex and cut bolt holes for attachment via two existing bolts.

At some point I may put a little square of Velcro or that double-stick foam tape to make sure the back part stays down. But I'm very pleased with the visual appearance. I think it will also prevent grating on the inside right ankle bone.

Cheers!/dh

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n360/derangedhermit_photos/rearmastercylindercover.jpg[/img]"]rearmastercylindercover.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n360/derangedhermit_photos/rearmccover2.jpg[/img]"]rearmccover2.jpg

Looks a bit sharp though...

If you are familiar with school notebook covers, some of those are made from a similar sheet plastic. Very flexible, pretty tough. No way you can cut yourself.

hmm... how about making it a wrap-around? 🙂

by making a longer top, you can wrap the master pump and secure the piece with the 2 screws on the swing arm :D

ai... darn.. I forgot the swing arm moves... haha... pardon me :worthy:

Not a bad idea. You can do a wrap around by starting at these two bolts, going beneath, then going back up on the inside, over the top and back down, using the same two bolts again - a double layer on the side where my ankle hits.🙂 That way you couldn't snag at the top, and the master would be protected all around except the rear, where the sight glass is. You could add a flap for that too, if you wanted.

I may try that when I see how the rear subframe fits in. It attaches where the top semicircle of the plastic over the frame is.

by all means... please try and let us know... :banghead:

if there are more spaces, I figure we can even wrap the main frame to create a cheap version of a frame guard+master pump guard 🙂

when it is possible... time to apply time carbon fibre sticker sheet to your creation :D:worthy::ride: