Sign in to follow this  

uying a Dirtbike, KDX200 or bust? (Suggest other options?)

To cut to the chase, I want:

* 2 stroke

* Powervalve

* Water Cooled

* Disk brakes

* Newer than 1990

* Long Travel Suspension

* Trail/Enduro leanings

What I have(had...):

* 2 stroke

* Water cooled

* Drum Brakes

* 1983 Vintage

* Long Travel Suspension

* Solid Motocross bike

What you need to know. I'm 28, I am 200lbs. I'm not what you'd call experienced, but somehow I've managed to not kill myself on a 1983 RM250 despite only having tight trails to ride on. The ORv park I have to ride at has a small MX track setup, which is fun to putter around on, and lots of technical stuff.

I managed to sell my RM250 for a disgusting amount of money. (roughly $900) So at the moment that's my budget. I should have more money for the pot in the coming three weeks.

What I want indicates pretty clearly to a KDX200. I really do not want a 4 stroke. But the only bike I know of that fits he bill is the KDX200. KTM makes a 200cc 2 stroke, but the prices on that seem to hover in the $2-3k region. I could probably swing that in the end, but I'd prefer to spend less if I can.

I know Suzuki made the RMX250 which was an enduro version of the RM250. Did yamaha make any "modern" 2 stroke enduros?

I'm also not vehemently against MX bikes. I'd just prefer something with a power generating stator.

To add visual interest. This is what I sold. It's a monster.

RM250_2.JPG

that's a sweet looking 82/3 RM you had. Yes, Yamaha made a YZ250WR from 88-98 or so.

The modern KDX came out in 95. Any 92-96 CR250 is a good bike too. These should all be in your price range.