Taillight (brakelight illumination) issues...

Alright everyone, I have an '06 400SM with 17,5XX miles, and it is a great bike.

A while back, I bought a new battery and rectifier. All has been fine for four months, but I was pulled over last night for having no running taillight. When I press the brake levers, the rear lamp fires just fine, but it does not stay on as it normally should.

There is no flickering, it is as if the lamp is only getting power under braking. I have checked the fuse and it is fine, and all connections seem to be fine as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

If you have the standard drz taillight, the bulb is dual ,both for runninglight and breake. It's 2 wolframspirals inside ,so one for runninglight is gone.

You should only buy a new bulb 12v 5/21w(I think)

If you have the standard drz taillight, the bulb is dual ,both for runninglight and breake. It's 2 wolframspirals inside ,so one for runninglight is gone.

You should only buy a new bulb 12v 5/21w(I think)

You rule. I will buy a new one tomorrow. Love the 400SM, can't wait to get it back on the road!

Thanks again, I will let you all know if this rectifies the issue.

I had the same problem. I checked the bulb and it was fine. My problem was with the ignition switch. It worked itself a part just enough not to make contact when the key was turned on.

Same here so I will ask you this question before you replace the bulb, put the switch in "park", do you have a tail light now?? If yes then you will need to carefully take the switch apart and clean the dirty contacts inside and put it back together.

Look here: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673678 for a few pics.

Same here so I will ask you this question before you replace the bulb, put the switch in "park", do you have a tail light now?? If yes then you will need to carefully take the switch apart and clean the dirty contacts inside and put it back together.

Look here: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673678 for a few pics.

Nope, one of the fillaments was indeed broken, so I went to the dealer and bought a replacement. Thing is, when i got home, the bulb burned out instantly when I put it in. Seems the parts guy is an idiot and gave me the wrong one. FYI, NEVER shop at central Texas Powersports in Georgetown, TX. Their people don't know a DR-Z from a friggin' CRF. They have giving me the wrong part at least 3 times now.

Tomorrow I will eithier order a new one online or go to Autozone and see if they have the bulb.

I will update when I get the NEXT one. ?