Sign in to follow this  

HELP! where do I wire in grip warmers?

I want to wire them in to one of the wires that are only crossed once the ignition is in the ON position so I don't kill my battery but I have no idea which wire to tap in to. I'm looking at the wiring diagram and thinking I need help. I don't have a volt meter so I don't know which is putting out 12v and don't want to blow fuses and such. Can someone please help and quickly? I gotta wire them in tonight in the next few hours if possible

I wouldnt be wiring them up using a wire from the loom. It will surly overload any of the factory wires, heating elements take up the most power than any thing else electrical.

You can use any of the wires, say from the taillight, ignition, dash light etc, anything that has power once the ignition is on, but there will be plenty of times that you will want to turn them off, so a switch will have to be wired in. What ever you do you will have to run a dedicated power supply through a relay and fuse, using one of the wires from the loom as a trigger.

Without a testlight and some electrical knowledge, they wont be going in tonight.

nevermind managed to figure it out, wired it in to the main connector plug near the headlight on the yellow wire with a white stripe in it, no stripping needed. This is the one that controls the headlight on both hi and low beam. Then wired the ground for each to the top triple clamp bolts that also holds the indicator bracket on either side of the forks. Finally ran the remaining wires down behind the headlight and bars and into a high/low/off switch which I just secured very tightly to the handlebars below the 3 little dash lights. All reasonably tidy but I might extend the wires and neaten them up later

In short its wired to the headlight but with their own switch so I can turn them off when I want. Is actually quite toasty on the high setting after a couple minutes so very pleased :)

I wouldnt be wiring them up using a wire from the loom. It will surly overload any of the factory wires, heating elements take up the most power than any thing else electrical.

That could be a problem but I take it all that could blow in my current setup is the fuse or bulb for the headlight? When I turn the warmers on the light dips but only very very slightly. You can only tell if your looking hard when you flip the switch. Starter motor still kicks over just as good as ever even with hi-beam and the grip warmers on high at the same time so it can't be drawing too much power (12v 35 watt stated). I'm gonna put a bi-xenon headlight on down the track so that'll take 20/25 watts off the headlight and I figure that'll drop the energy draw enough to not cause any problems

Now I just need to wire up the aircon...

"Now I just need to wire up the aircon..."

Over here in Sunny Cali, aircon is the "70 MPH" version, just watch out for the bug splat.

I want to wire them in

What grip warmers did you get and did you have any difficulty in removing the stock grips. I want to do this on my wife's DR.