Sign in to follow this  

CR250 for 15 year old that is 5'10, 165 - 170 pounds?

A few months ago I got back into dirtbiking after I stopped when I was like 6 or 7. :ride: I bought a 1999 XR250, which I feel like a need more snap from but I don't think I want to soup 'er up with mods (all it has is a few free mods done to it) because me and my pops think I'd be better off just getting a new bike.

I talked to my dad about selling the XR and getting something like a CR125 or YZ125, but I have no experience on a 2 stroke except for my JR50 when I was about 5 or 6 :worthy:. My dad thinks I'd be better off with a CR250 instead because 125's apparently don't have much low end to them, and I need that because I ride trails only, some doubletrack, some singletrack, some hill climbs, things like that. He knows the power of the 250 because he had a CR250 a few years back.

I'm in pretty good shape, a good amount of muscle if that matters or do you boys think it's mostly experience? I want something light and snappy for something new because my XR is definitely not light and is not very snappy to say the least. :)

Do you guys think I could get used to all the power of a beast like that, or should I just stick to things like WRF's or CRF's? Should I try something new? :D

You'll be fine. Just learn to respect it. It's all up to you ,on how much you turn your right wrist. I agree with your dad . A 250 is a much better opton for your size. It will be a much better bike in the long run. It's also much easier to ride offroad , then a 125.

Listen to your dad!!

You'll be happier in the long run with a 250

But........ you should get a KTM XC (or xcw)

Go with 250 for woods, Add a 11 oz flywheel weight and make sure you have suspsension re-done for "C" rider woods. You can lug a 250 around the rough stuff and turns then gas the pipe when trail is straight. A good suspension shop will make it float like a magic carpet over the roots and ledges. Stock will beat you to death! I have a local shop charges $ 135 front and $135 back, new seals and Amsoil shock treatment and re-valves.

get the 250, they are great bikes, I AM 16, 6'3 and weigh around 150 and the bike is perfect, it will be a little scary f at first, but once you get used to it you will LOVE it.

Don't waste your time and money with a 125. When I was your age, I was on a 400 which is probably comparable to a modern 250 and loved it.

Go with the 250 and then have your dad get a 450 and then move to that one.

Thats what my son did. I'm happier on the 250 and hes a rocket on the 450