Sign in to follow this  

Is it float level or mainjet size? - low speed WOT bog

XR650R stock CV(i think) Keihin carb

uncorcked with recommended 175 3rd clip 65S pilot

When you give it full throttle at low speeds it bogs until it coughs for a few seconds and the top end revs are OK after the cough. (hold full throttle at low speed - it builds slowly in revs, then stutters, then it's ok right to maximum revs - [it's not the type of bog when you snap the throttle quickly off idle] )

I removed the stock(drilled open) exhaust tip and rode with no tip at all and the problem went away.

But I'm wondering wether to change the mainjet the float level (float level is stock) ?

I've never played with the float level on any bike I've owned and not really sure what is does to the bike and in what rev range it does it, especially on a CV carb.

The bog seems to happen mainly with full throttle in low revs but I think at a certain rev count.

the carb has no accelerator pump.if you open the throttle abruptly from idle it will bog regardless of jetting.

Burned

It might not be the bog your thinking of. It doesn't bog imediately at WOT, only when it get's to it's flat spot in the revs.

It went away when I rode the bike with the exhaust tip removed - which shows it must have been fuel/air mixture because when it was running leaner with the exhaust tip removed, it cleared it up.

Thanks Burned, I wont touch the float level, just the mainjet. Better get my hands dirty now. :)