Sign in to follow this  

sparkplugs questions.

I need to know what a good spark plug to run in my 06yz125. Yesterday the stock plug took a shit. A guy with a yz250 gave us a plug to use in the bike i just want to know whats a good plug. I will check the numbers on the plug that the guy gave us. And put them on here to see what you guys think.

THX for help!:)

NGK BR8ES or EG. I like to use the EG it has a finer electrode.

I Just pulled the plug the guys gave us out the bike and its a NGK B8ES

the Stock plug is a NGK BR9EIX.

I've read that using non-resistor plugs can cause problems with your electrical system. To be safe I would use the BR series plugs.

Will we had no other plugs with us:banghead: So I had to use it. It was nice the guy let us keep it for free thoe.:) But the plug seem to let the bike run better, It seems to start alot easer with the new plug than the old one.:D

well while were on the topic, the current plug in my 03 125 is an NGKR BR9EG. should i be running something different like go down to an 8 or should i stick with what i got?

also, is there a resistor in the spark plug wire that we can remove or something? i remember in my xr400r there was something like that

also, im guessing the R in BR stands for resistor? and that would mean weaker spark right?

I believe the resistor could mean a weaker spark, but if it makes a difference your ignition is probably long overdue for a replacement.

It might also be reasonable to say the lack of electronic noise might also let a digital ignition function better. Some claimed the lack of a resistor plug in the Honda cr 250 woudl cause ignition problems.

any input on if (and why) i should go to an 8 instead of the 9? does it just help to not foul as much or what? can it hurt to run the 8?

any input on if (and why) i should go to an 8 instead of the 9? does it just help to not foul as much or what? can it hurt to run the 8?

I dont think it will hurt your bike. nor will it foul it. It still a hot plug if i rember correctly. But it not as hot as a 9 thoe. But it wont hurt. :)

Read the manual that came with the bike and use what they specify. The engineers that determined what plugs works best are alot more educated on the topic than the average TT suscriber. As a side note, I've been riding 2-strokes for 38 years and have NEVER fouled a plug. If you are fouling, it's because something else, like the jetting, is off. At least once a year, I run into someone on the trail asking if I have a spare plug. I usually let them take my bike bike to their truck to get a replacement 'cause there is no reason I would carry one.

i learned that the non resistor plugs mess radios from a guy that tryed them in his car because they were cheaper