Sign in to follow this  

08 TE450 Running Terrible - need input please

Over the last 80 miles the bike has run poorer and poorer. Missing, popping, backfiring, at any rpm and throttle position.

I took it to the shop, it set for 2 weeks, had a valve shim (break in at 650 miles). Actually ran better for about 10-15 miles but at 28 miles later it's now unridable.

Thus...I thought I must have some water in the fuel and it's sloshing around and causing havoc w/ the fuel injector. Pulled tank, drained, it did have water in it, removed fuel line, blew the fuel out of the fuel rail w/ my compressor.

WHILE PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER, I see the Voltage Regulator is cracked at the rear mount, all the way from top to bottom - obviously during factory assembly it was overtightened, it's actually distorted a bit.

Bike still runs like crap, but doesn't have any water in the fuel. I ran some cleaner thru the injector, but it could have something in it, problem is the miss is so random, violent and wide now.

Is it this broken voltage regulator? Help! I've learned my shop has zero help to offer w/ the fuel injected bikes and I'm gonna have to learn to diagnose any problems.

Thanks!

this should be all be warranty work (or at least a good mechanics trouble shooting), and the excuse of no FI experience is lame at best. your bike should not have issues.

I agree, but if the guy wrenching on it doesn't know what he's doing ...

Great shop however. I talked w/ the owner and she said they'll find out what the problem is and fix it.

If you guys have any idea's, lemme know. Thanks!

I have they same bike with the same problems. Mine went to the dealer 3 weeks ago. I have they PU kit installed and the bike has been tuned with the Ibeat system. After the bike started to run like crap,I brought it over to the dealers and he hooked it up to the Ibeat system and noticed that all the settings in the computer where up by 20%. He set everything back to normal and the bike still ran like crap. He ended up swaping about every part on the bike besides the coil and the injection unit and the TPS,and it still ran like crap. After waiting 3 weeks and making no progress,I was done waiting:foul: . After that,in a matter of 3 days, I was told by the Husky sales manager that they are sending me a new bike and it'll be here this week or next week:thumbsup: :):D . If the bike was carb'ed, your problem would probably be either the stator or the coil,but sence you have EFI it might be the TPS.

I have they same bike with the same problems. Mine went to the dealer 3 weeks ago. I have they PU kit installed and the bike has been tuned with the Ibeat system. After the bike started to run like crap,I brought it over to the dealers and he hooked it up to the Ibeat system and noticed that all the settings in the computer where up by 20%. He set everything back to normal and the bike still ran like crap. He ended up swaping about every part on the bike besides the coil and the injection unit and the TPS,and it still ran like crap. After waiting 3 weeks and making no progress,I was done waiting:foul: . After that,in a matter of 3 days, I was told by the Husky sales manager that they are sending me a new bike and it'll be here this week or next week:thumbsup: :):D . If the bike was carb'ed, your problem would probably be either the stator or the coil,but sence you have EFI it might be the TPS.

Mines being going on over 4 months now in the UK. US 1 UK 0 on customer service.

that's excellent information. Thank you both for posting.

They say 3 times is a charm, maybe no one else will have the same problems.

Did Husky volunteer the warranty replacement or did you have to fight for it?

Also, you were given no flak over the powerup kit? Did you remove it to put on the new bike? Mine has the PU kit as well. Don't recall if I noted that previous.

Seems to me that fuel injection isn't so great on offroad bikes after all. Tell them you want a carb on the new bike. Jetting seems like a piece of cake after reading about all the "sorting out" that FI reguires. I thought the whole idea of FI was to eliminate having to deal with the intake system. Just because something is new and high tech doesn't necessarily make it better.

Seems to me that fuel injection isn't so great on offroad bikes after all. Tell them you want a carb on the new bike. Jetting seems like a piece of cake after reading about all the "sorting out" that FI reguires. I thought the whole idea of FI was to eliminate having to deal with the intake system. Just because something is new and high tech doesn't necessarily make it better.

Until this problem, it was amazing. Let us not look back.

Sounds like to me you might want to try a Husky dealer in Georgia that is used to Fuel Injection systems and has alot of experience in that relm, you know there is a new Husky dealer in the Atlanta area :)

Hopefully this suggestion has already been tried somewhere along the way but I had a similar experience with my 08 TE510. A while back I was riding the Finke track near Alica Springs which is a lot of wide open throttle. For no apparent reason the bike starteed running like crap, like a fouled plug or something to the point where it dies completely. Couldn't start it so loaded it on my support vehicle (thank god it was there) and went back to Alice. Held the spark plug lead against the barrel and no spark.... Bugger I thought.

Anyway I poked around and the only thing i could find was a slightly loose spade crimp on the coil. I didn't think it was bad enough to causethe bike to die completely but I gave the crimp a squeeze to make it nice and tight and have had no problems since.

Lesson: Seems to be super sensitive to the crimps on the coil.

• Like 2

Thanks for the Atlanta Husky Dealer heads up!

And the coil tip - which I'll check tonite. I'll let you know.

Anyway I poked around and the only thing i could find was a slightly loose spade crimp on the coil. I didn't think it was bad enough to causethe bike to die completely but I gave the crimp a squeeze to make it nice and tight and have had no problems since.

Lesson: Seems to be super sensitive to the crimps on the coil.

That's all it was, bike is fixed, major :):D to you man! Thanks so much for posting. I woulda never found it.

Every EFI Husky owner should check this, I'd say it's just a matter of time.

-Jim

Darned new fangled high tech coils have got no place on an offroad bike:p :D .

Jim, glad you got it fixed easily and Hoolio, thanks for the heads up, gas for you. :) Ken

I don't know who the moderator is now but I think Hoolio's information is definately sticky worthy. Is there a troubleshooting sticky?

Wow:applause: , Way to go Hoolio! TW

Ditto man.. This needs to be in the sticky fo sho..

Forums are great aren't they!

Glad it worked out for you. I am now getting good solid reliability from the big 'H' although I must admit there was a point where I was going to cut my losses and dump it for a Yamaha I was getting so #$@!#$ off with problems - like this. A 2 cent crimp causes the bike to completely die!

Another tip - change the radiator cross-over hose as the standard one is non-reinforced rubber. The day after the coil crimp let me down the radiator hose blew apart because it is ___t.

I'm gonna give my dealer a call tomorrow and let him know about that crimp,because I still haven't got my new bike yet. I tell ya one thing,if its just that crimp that may be loose, I think I'm gonna flip my lid. If this fix does work on my bike, this thread will have to be stickied. Thanks for the info and more free gas for you.

Based on my experience with dealers, which would seem be pretty well matched by anyone around the world, I'd take most of what they say with a grain of salt. It seems dudes (and dudettes) on forums know more than established global dealerships (applies to all makes). When you get it, check it. Get them to change the rad hose too, no excuse for supplying it with a drinking straw joining the rad halves, same deal with the battery mount which is common knowledge by now. After you do the must-do's it all fun from there, no looking back.

He ended up swaping about every part on the bike besides the coil and the injection unit and the TPS,and it still ran like crap.

Actually when I read that I thought it interesting as they might not have looked at the crimp given they haven't touched the coil.