Sign in to follow this  

Krylon X-Metals anodized paint

Found this stuff while shopping at Wally World the other day. It's Krylon X-Metals paint. Claims to give an anodized finish. I found a can in blue and thought I'd give it a try. Should have read the label a little closer before I got home, since it recommends to spray on their X-Metals Converter first. It does say it can be sprayed directly on bare shiny metal or chrome, but they recommend the converter for maximum adhesion. I decided to experiment with the front brake line pinch. I gave it about three coats directly on the bare metal without any prep except for washing it clean first. I was very disappointed when I saw it go on kind of dull and appear to be drying that way. Almost looked like a dull faded blue. Well as time went on and it dried more, it took on an anodized finish and became darker blue. This drying/curing process took several hours. The pic is the best I could do. It looks slightly better in person and a little darker than you see here. I think I will go back and get a can of the X-Metals Converter, strip off this paint and try it again.

Anyhow, thought you guys might like to see how you can make your own anodized parts...

BrakeLinePinchBlue1.JPG

BrakeLinePinchBlue2.JPG

that worked pretty well I would say...

now.. where to get that spray? :):D:worthy:

Got it at K-Mart, but I would imagine anyone who carries Krylon spray paint would have it.

Thanks for the info... now I just hope they have something like that here in Singapore.. :)

Thanks for the info... now I just hope they have something like that here in Singapore.. :)

Sorry. Didn't notice where you were from.

Sorry. Didn't notice where you were from.

No problem at all :)

I've always envied you guys having

1. so many nice places to ride

2. so many DIY/hardware stores to look for bits and pieces

3. much cheaper bike price :D:worthy::ride: