Sign in to follow this  

do people actually do this???

Getting my wife's KLR250 ready (running would be nice) for our Colorado trip I am replacing the chain because the old one was nasty and and the sprockets were trashed. My garage isn't really that well lit so I cut off the chain with an angle grinder when I couldn't find the master link...well I found it and it looked like this:

100_4925.jpg

It looks like someone used a master link from an o-ring chain on the non-oring chain! Seems to me like this thing staying on was a miracle for the safety of whoever was riding it.

oh yeah, here's the rear sprocket :)

100_4913.jpg

I know, not directly DRZ related, but I'm more familiar with you guys and the KLR250 section moves like molasses in a minnesota january.

It also has no chain guard on the front of the swingarm, and the chain guide leading into the bottom of the rear sprocket is broken off. Every time i work on this bike I find something that makes me worry about what I'm gonna find out when I try to fire it up later this week.

nothing is immune from the hacks of the world.

ive seen some very very scary stuff over the years.

I do have on thing to be thankful for - the electrical harness appears completely untouched. Either nobody's hacked into it or they were very good at covering their tracks.

i had a xr200 come in once that was "running weird".

to make a long story short some one used a bench grinder to reprofile the cam after a lack oil had flattened it.

they even went as far as to "make" longer tappet adjusters.

to make a long story short some one used a bench grinder to reprofile the cam after a lack oil had flattened it.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like they were determined.

Now that's just plain creative :)

Surprised the thing even did run :)

When working as a mechanic at the jet ski dealer, I found some VERY scary stuff when working on people's jet ski's. Most of the time, I'd completely tear their stupid "mods", or just simply DUMB "fixes" out and put it back to how it should of been from the factory.

May have cost them a few bucks, but if I'm in there working on the exhaust system and you have a steering cable JB welded back together:eek: , I'm replacing the steering cable too.

In a previous life I was the service manager at a boat dealership in SC. Guy brings a fairly new boat in taking on water from somewhere in the transom where the outdrive bolts onto the motor. Find out he's been running his 3 blade propeller with only 2 1/2 blades. One of his prop blades broke off (appeared he ran aground more than once). He'd been running it like that for over a year because he didn't want to spring for a new prop. Needless to say, he was vibrating the s#it out of the outdrive and now had more issues to deal with than just a leaky transom. Prop shaft seal problems, steering assembly knackered, etc.

I'm surprised he was even able to get the boat on a plane with half a blade missing from his prop.

I know two brothers, Jason and Dan, that have a all of shame in their shop off all the insane crap they see of people bringing their bikes in... It's amazing, the sad part is that they are running out of room!

wow....just ...wow

Working on stuff like this, I think the best skill to have is the ability to recognize when you're over your head. Someone that thinks they can bench grind a cam profile has no business removing a valve cover (or probably even changing their own oil!).

when i say reprofiled,it wasnt exactly any where near correct.

it maybe had 30 degrees of duration.

MesserSchmitt

WOW! Hope you didn't have to pay much for that bike. I'd have to think twice before letting my wife ride such a poorly maintained machine.

Eddie

I've seen a lot of nasty "repairs" over the years, but that is way up on the "What the @#$% !" list.

must have been a fan of Smokey Yunick :)

MesserSchmitt

WOW! Hope you didn't have to pay much for that bike. I'd have to think twice before letting my wife ride such a poorly maintained machine.

by the time she sits on it, I will have checked and/or replaced everything on it...I paid $300 for the bike. It wasn't in the condition the guy led me to believe it was in, but at the same time for the amount I paid for it I didn't expect much. I've put another $400 into it so far, including parts not yet installed. Hopefully all I have left to buy is a master cylinder and miscellaneous bolts to get it safely usable off-road, and then I'll need a new taillight (lens is broken) and turn signals to get it street legal. This is all assuming it starts up and runs on Wednesday without needing any engine work.

I'm going to spend a couple weeks riding it around making sure it's good before we go on the trip. If there is any doubt, we'll be leaving it here and using the Honda quad that's already sitting at the cabin in Creede.

Glad to hear you are being thorough. Nothing worse than having to listen to "Why would you even let me on such a piece of..."

Good luck and enjoy your trip.:)

Glad to hear you are being thorough. Nothing worse than having to listen to "Why would you even let me on such a piece of..."

Good luck and enjoy your trip.:)

In order to avoid exactly that, I've been putting nothing but factory and the best aftermarket stuff possible...had to explain that when I came home with a $175 receipt for an RK X-ring chain and a Dunlop D606 tire...