Sign in to follow this  

Tire changing stand

I would like to get a tire changing stand.

The Zip Ty one looks nice and seems like it would make this very easy. But it is also $89.

What do folks use? I have a friend who uses a 10 gallon barrel but I don't have easy access to one of those.

Out of wood I made myself a right angled triangle "thing" -- The rim/tire sits on it and you can remove/put on tires -- works good for me.

This is what evryone in our riding group uses and it works really great.

We bought ours a few years ago for $100 to $120 - it looks like they have gone up to $149 now.

http://www.mikesracingproducts.com/

They make tire changing alot easier and I would still pay the $149 knowing how much time and frustration they save you changing tires. You can lock down the wheel to the stand and then you stand on the base of the frame to give you all the leverage you need to change MX tires like a pro.

Before I had this stand - I used to use a milk crate with a towel over it to pad the wheel but it was still a pain compared to using the stand.

Either buy the MRP stand or find a 35 gallon oil can. If you go to the races, you can see the Dunlop trailer using the MRP stand.

That MRP one looks kinda like the Zip Ty one but with a stand so you don't have to do it on your knees.

Does it work for street bike tires too? If so it may be a winnar.

Out of wood I made myself a right angled triangle "thing" -- The rim/tire sits on it and you can remove/put on tires -- works good for me.

Could you post a pic or something please? I would like to build my own.

The MRP stand is expensive but worth it! It makes it so easy and fast that I do not even "dread" tire changes anymore. That and a good set of tire spoons and you can too can "change tires like a pro"........

Here is what I use

Copy%20of%20Triangle%20tire%20thing%20compressed.JPG

I like it on the ground because I use a rubber hammer to get most if not all of the tire on the rim, this eliminates the possibility of tire irons hurting the tube. Sometimes I need to use the irons for the last 1/4 of the tire though...

• Like 1

Pit Posse sells one that is like the MRP one but is $99 instead of $149.